Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen this question on here before "What wire do I use for distributor with HEI"? Well I changed mine today so I'm just full of info. On the firewall is two plugin connectors directly behind the fuse box. On my 72 the left one has a pink wire that is the resistor wire. It is split in the loom into two yellow wires. You do not want this resistor wire or the other two that go to the coil and starter. You don't need them. Using care (and long nose pliers) remove the pink wire from the connector block. You do not have to do any work in cab. What I did was open the connector and replace the pink resistor wire with a #14 wire which I soldered to the connector. Then reinstalled the block connector.Then run that wire to the connector on the HEI. I don't know which wire it is on earlier C10s but you can open the loom and follow the coil wire back to the firewall connector. Sorry about the poor pictures . Hope this helps if not feel free to PM me or by email
anim_25

Attachments

·
Registered
800 Posts
Charlie I believe all the older trucks whether they had a resistor wire or resistor block the wire from the starter was yellow.12 volts to coil while cranking.The only problem I have encounted with this swap is not all ignition switches have power to the coil when cranking at least with the stock factory switch.Now if using a later column with switch mounted on it all should ok

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I thought on mine so I took everything apart. The ignition wire Yellow outside the loom (pink in the loom). Both come from the same wire in the cab on the switch. It is a #12 that splits down to a 16 or 18 fuseable link. That's why I just eliminated that wire and put in a new #14 to the coil one is not needed to the starter.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Charlie thats sort of what I did, came from the the pink wire switched side of the ignition switch right to the HEI thru a new gromet with a #12 control wire....beer

1 - 4 of 4 Posts