Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner

Headliner Help

22K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  gilbert011 
#1 ·
Years ago I pulled my '89 crewcab apart and while I had the windshield out I removed the headliner. I did not like the white so I was told it could be painted with marhyde and not affect it. What a mistake that was, the material separated after a few weeks and I was left with the foam core panel. I have been looking ever since for a headliner but have had no luck in finding a replacement, everything I have seen is for a regular cab. Has anybody seen any suppliers with a replacement? Most CK crewcabs were work trucks so any I have seen at a wreckers have been damaged. I may have to remove one from a truck at a wrecker then use it as a buck to form a fiberglass base and upholster it, that is all I have come up with. Any other ideas?

#2 ·
My thoughts are ( if I remember correctly ) it's a cardboard type with a slim piece of foam, covered with material. So maybe you could sand the remaining foam off and then purchase some material, and some 3M spray glue for interiors, and reupholster it. I've done this a few times with good results, and I'm far for an upholster. Just a thought. :D

#5 ·
Headliner.

I think most headliners were a cardboard style material. At least every single one I have worked on has been, this includes several single cabs, one extended cab, and 2 or three suburbans ( no blazers). But to replace the material is real easy in my opinion. if the foam crap is still on there, all you have to do is get a wire brush, and literally brush off the foam, It is something that can be done in less than an hour. Once you do that, you can if needed do some repair on the cardboard, maybe throw some fiberglass if you want to go that extreme. Then after you do all your necessary repair go ahead and use some good old 3M upholstery adhesive, they sell this stuff at the parts store depending on your area. Lay your material on one half and use a roller to smoothly roll it into place, don't use your finger because you will leave grooves, you want a smooth roll. Then spray the second half, roll it the same and then you can trim the excess. Roll the excess material over the edges for a cleaner look than factory.

If you cannot find a crew cab linger, try looking for a suburban and you might have to trim it down. You might have to find a base model suburban that did not have the AC in the rear so you don't have that low bump.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.