Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to fix my one barrel carb on the truck for several days. Started leaking fuel thru the vent on top. Had a rebuild kit so I used it and still have the problem. Tried two different floats and adjustments. Sure wish I could find a two barrel manifold for my V6 so that I could buy a two barrel carb and put on since they are more readily available. Anyone have any suggestions or an intake manifold for sale?

Don

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the 305 and yes it does have new needle and seat. I even had an extra carb to swap thing out with.

I like that Trans-Dapt you linked me up with. I might even have a two barrel carb sitting around to try with it.

Thanks loads!

Don

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Don, do you have the stock fuel pump on this...?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did install a new fuel pump but it is the stock replacement Rich.

Turns out Amazon had that adapter so it will be delivered tomorrow. :)

I do have a 2 barrel Stromberg WW carb that I plan to try on it.

Don

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I did install a new fuel pump but it is the stock replacement Rich.

Turns out Amazon had that adapter so it will be delivered tomorrow. :)

I do have a 2 barrel Stromberg WW carb that I plan to try on it.

Don
Just wondering if you need a fuel pressure regulator and limit the pressure to 3 lbs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just wondering if you need a fuel pressure regulator and limit the pressure to 3 lbs.
I will try that if the 2 barrel has the same problem Rich. Thing is it did not start doing this until two weeks ago. That said, I did add 8 gallons of gas to the tank.

I think I have and adjustable regulator that came with an electric fuel pump that was on my 57' 3100 if needed.

Don

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got another Stromberg 2 barrel carb from a friend and installed it. Works fine and does not leak but now I have to come up with some way to connect the linkage. Believe the carb came of a Trifive.

Don

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the adapter and 2 barrel carb is on. I had to do some work to get the linkage correct but that's done now. Took it up and down the street and it runs pretty good. I was even able to verify it goes into all three gears. :)

Don

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I finally think I have my carburetor problem resolved. I have now installed the 2 barrel intake manifold that I got from another member with a new Holley 500 cfm carb. Cleaned up and painted the engine area. The good news is that it fired up right away and purred like a kitten at idle. Bad news is when I drove it down the street my electrical power died intermittently and so did the engine. Seems like a ground problem but don't know what for sure. Will be looking at it more today and tomorrow. Here are some pics.

Don

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Intermittent electrical problems can be a big pain. since you were in the rear of the engine it may just be a loose ignition wire anim_25

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I do have it running again. Seems to be something in the wire harness going down from the positive side of the coil heading downward. I moved it around until I had power to the vehicle again and then was able to start it. I will have to try to unwrap that harness now. :(
Here is a short video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2AGPHcnjY0

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
So I do have it running again. Seems to be something in the wire harness going down from the positive side of the coil heading downward. I moved it around until I had power to the vehicle again and then was able to start it. I will have to try to unwrap that harness now. :(
Here is a short video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2AGPHcnjY0
I`m only guessing that is the firewall plug next to the heater box, it contains the solenoid wire, and temp gauge wires and the wire back to the coil....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I`m only guessing that is the firewall plug next to the heater box, it contains the solenoid wire, and temp gauge wires and the wire back to the coil....
You are correct Rich! I must have dislodged it a little when I was working on it. Didn't get an update on here yet.

Don

1 - 20 of 21 Posts