Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question about new install, I just built a 383 stroker, put in new transmission, new wiring from scratch etc. starts like a champ at a cold start or if I shut it down and re start it within 1-2 minutes if it sits for 5-8ish minutes it takes quite a few cranks to get it to start then when it does it barely idols then it finally clears up. I have never had an issue like this I was hoping someone can shed some light on this, I know I did not include a ton of info because I know there will be questions.
thanks in advance.

Sent from my G8232 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here, sounds like carb is leaking fuel thru needles and seats, or a leaking internal gasket, in a sense flooding it. What carb are you running..? sign0016

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here, sounds like carb is leaking fuel thru needles and seats, or a leaking internal gasket, in a sense flooding it. What carb are you running..? sign0016
Thanks for having me. I am running a Holley 4160. I was having the same thought on carb leaking. I checked my fuel bowls after it sitting for 3 days and they are still full, if there was a leak wouldn't it be empty or less fuel in bowl?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
When you first shut it down after driving it or its warm, the pump will hold a certain amount of pressure, the float needles will let the pressure push the fuel past them, next time you shut it down warm, remove air cleaner use a flashlight to peer down in the throttle bores to see if fuel is dribbling down or if the manifold is extremely wet.
I had an issue just like this and I just replaced the needles and seats on a 4150 holley, but it was the rear seat that had the issue, turned out after removing the bowl when I installed the new needles a piece of flashing from the threads had broken off and stuck into the neoprene seat just enough to allow it to weep until the pressure bled off..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate all the comments I will replace the needle and seats and let you know how it turned out.

The fuel pump gets turned off when the ignition gets turned off, but a good thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After replacing the needle and seats and if it still has an issue, you mentioned an internal gasket how could I tell? I sure believe in quality of workmanship has gone down, this carb only has 3000 miles on it.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
After replacing the needle and seats and if it still has an issue, you mentioned an internal gasket how could I tell? I sure believe in quality of workmanship has gone down, this carb only has 3000 miles on it.

Before you replace any thing when the engine is shut off after it has run, look down into the carb too see if it is wet, ( the tops of the throttle plates and or the bottom of the intake under the carb ) it could also be that you are cooking the carb, excess heat pushes the fuel past the floats and or gaskets as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts