Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am thinking of loosing the stock dizzy on the 396 and up grading it to a GM H.E.I. unit. Does anybody know if there is enough room between the firewall with out moving the motor forward to drop a H.E.I. unit in on a B.B. motor?

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
That I can not say. BUT the change worked on my 73 Nova. I would think that there would be enough room. I put one in my 72 C10 with a SBC lots of room. You will have to change the wiring to go from points to HEI. Not a big deal but dose have to be done.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That I can not say. BUT the change worked on my 73 Nova. I would think that there would be enough room. I put one in my 72 C10 with a SBC lots of room. You will have to change the wiring to go from points to HEI. Not a big deal but dose have to be done.
What do you mean bye changing the wiring????

All the H.E.I. unit needs is a 12 volt source from the key.

I also plan on loosing the alt with the external voltage regulator and going to a 180 amp one wire alt.

As much as i am trying to leave the truck stock as possible, there are some new modern up grades that just have to be done, LIKE THE FRONT DISC BRAKES anim_63

·
Registered
493 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could always go the Pertronix route.....

I'm kind a fan of the ole points and condensor set up. When the apocalypse comes you won't have to worry about the electromagnet pulse explosion taking out the non-stock electronic ignition components in your vintage Chevrolet Pickemup'.

I am kidding, well sort of 16coffee http://scribol.com/technology/how-an-electromagnetic-pulse-bomb-could-wipe-out-americas-computers

Funny you mention the Petronix set up, i already purchased the conversion kit for the stock dizzy, not sure if i am going to run it, or just go H.E.I.

I already have the Petronix in my 57 Chevy, and it has been trouble free for the last 3 years.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
The stock points dist. has 2 wires to the coil. 1 to run on the resistor wire, or one from a resistor. The other to start on 12v from ignition switch. I would run a #12 or at least a #14 from the ignition switch to run on and eliminate the other 2.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I ran a #12 wire for my HEI, right from the ignition switch....!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts