Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I have a 71 c10 that I'm building and the grill surround was painted. I stripped the paint. Does anyone have something that will polish the aluminum that works? I've tried lots of stuff but nothing works. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Guys, I have a 71 c10 that I'm building and the grill surround was painted. I stripped the paint. Does anyone have something that will polish the aluminum that works? I've tried lots of stuff but nothing works. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks
The grilles were clear coated from the factory with an anodized coating. You need to remove this coating and then wet sand the alum. Depending on depth of scratches may have to do it in a couple of steps. Take easy off oven cleaner ( name brand works better) and spray the alum after removing inner plastic piece, let it sit for about 10 minutes( sometimes you have to adjust your soak time ) and then rinse with water and a green scotch pad, may have to repeat. Then start out with 400 grit and wet sanded, then 800 and then 1500, then polish it out with Mothers aluminum polish.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I wanted to show you the results of your suggestion. It works with alot of elbow grease, but worth it. Thanks again.
Great it worked out for you...nice job you`ve done beer...note..now that all the anodizing is gone, will require an occasional polishing...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Would you mind telling me what you used to strip the paint off the grill? Aircraft remover perhaps?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
How to remove

How did you remove the grill surround? I'm considering replacing mine, but I'm concerned about how to remove the old one and put the new one on because I've never done it before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts