Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first C10 yesterday, and I'm turning to this forum for advise through the restoration of it. I've restored several old Jeeps in the past, and became a pro with the help of all the great folks over at Jeepforum.com, and hoping I can get the same support here! Anyway, my new project is a '65 stepside short box with no rust other than a nice classic patina, which I plan to keep! Bought it from a salvage yard in Washington State, and it's actually being loaded up today on a car hauler to make the 2400 mile journey to it's new home. Haven't actually seen it in person yet, so y'all can probably imagine my excitement! beer

Attachments

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Hasselback welcome to C10 trucks. That looks to be something to be excited about post more pictures when you have in your hands Good Luck with the build anim_25

·
Registered
62 Posts
sign0016 Looks interesting. Should be pretty simple to restore one there are a lot of vendors for parts on these now days. And trucks are about as simple of a vehicle to build as it gets. anim_25

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I'm still playing games with the transport companies trying to get it shipped. In the meantime, I've begun prepping a motor and transmission I've had laying around to put in the truck, just to get it moving for now. I know everyone will cringe when I say it's a ford 351, but it will be temporary until I find a nice 454.

My plans for the truck are to take it down to the frame, sandblast and paint the chassis, lower it 3 inches, paint the original steel wheels, new tires, clear coat over the patina, and put it all back together. The doors are lettered on each side "for official use only, US government, Dept of energy". I think that's gotta stay once I turn it into a hot rod!

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Too bad your not closer If everything goes well this Saturday I will have an extra 468 I would sell reasonably. Shipping is crazy these days though unless you have connections some how.

Man keep the hood closed and padlocked as long as that f**d is in there dont want anyone getting upset you molested her. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, my truck finally got picked up by the transport company yesterday, and is due to arrive Tuesday.:D

And believe me, I'm not going to be showing off that F**d motor thats going into it. I still have a week or so to sell that thing, or trade it for a Chevy motor, but if not, I'm putting it in! I'm not the most patient person in the world. Besides, I'm going for the rat rod look, so random parts from other vehicles should be allowed anyway!

·
Registered
150 Posts
:) hi PA and welcome. good to have you here. congrats, have fun with it. sounds like it will be a sweet ride when your done. no sleep for you till it gets to your house, been there. :cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally got my truck the other day. It's great! Already got the front springs out to lower it, and I got one question for y'all before I put it back together. I found a '79 2wd Chevy today at the junkyard, front suspension looks identical except for the disk brakes that I would want. Other than it being a 5 lug rotor, is there any reason I couldn't just swap out the spindles rather than the whole suspension to get disk brakes on my truck?

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Grab the spindles Caliphers, rotors, use `73 to `87 ball joints, your a-arms, grab the steering link from the donor truck, (you`ll have to enlarge the bolt holes in your crossmember for this ) this is a cost savings, grab booster, master, prop valve, hard lines, replace rubber hose, when installing master and booster redrill The brake pedal rod hole down one inch from exsisting hole otherwise you`ll have way too much leverage on the pedal, ensure the rod in the pedal/booster is right length and your home...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts