Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I just inherited my grampas 1980 C10, 4.1liter and I’ve only ever messed with carbs on 4-wheelers, when I press the gas the air flaps don’t open and there is nothing attached to their sliders, can I fix this or should I just buy a new carb? I’m gonna try and make this a nice truck if I can
Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Gas Automotive fuel system
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Automotive design

·
Registered
1964 C-10-383 stroker-12 bolt posi & 1977 shortbox- nasty 454- 12 bolt posi 3:73
265 Posts
Welcome from Washington state.

First thing to do is, look at the gas pedal and locate the accelerator cable and figure out if it's broke and where it goes. Lotta of stuff going in in your pictures..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im surprised anyone even replied with how jumbly the pictures looked. When I press the glass pedal, the only thing that moves is a finger shaped plate that pushes 2 rod things into the carb, guessing fuel Jets? Neither of the air flaps moves when gas pedal pressed

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an ‘81, same set up as your truck. It looks like your carb has been modified and messed with. I see vacuum lines plugged and the choke converted to a manual cable. Those carbs are fussy and like to be just like it came from the factory. Mine is exactly like a factory setup and it still doesn’t run smooth. Chevy did some kind of funky diaphragm air pump smog crap using the valve cover. Those leak and cause all kinds of trouble too. Id try and find either a factory original carb, there was one on eBay. Very expensive. Or maybe try and call the people at Nation Carb if they have a more simple one to substitute.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an ‘81, same set up as your truck. It looks like your carb has been modified and messed with. I see vacuum lines plugged and the choke converted to a manual cable. Those carbs are fussy and like to be just like it came from the factory. Mine is exactly like a factory setup and it still doesn’t run smooth. Chevy did some kind of funky diaphragm air pump smog crap using the valve cover. Those leak and cause all kinds of trouble too. Id try and find either a factory original carb, there was one on eBay. Very expensive. Or maybe try and call the people at Nation Carb if they have a more simple one to substitute.
I went ahead and bought the new one , going to try to hook it up today and figure out where all those hoses and what not go, Grampa didnt like to spend money, so I’m not surprised this isn’t what it’s supposed to look like. I’ll take pictures after I get it put on today

·
Super Moderator
188 Posts
I went ahead and bought the new one , going to try to hook it up today and figure out where all those hoses and what not go, Grampa didnt like to spend money, so I’m not surprised this isn’t what it’s supposed to look like. I’ll take pictures after I get it put on today
Think you made the right decision .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Vehicle Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Engineering
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Plant Wood Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Wood

So i am missing quite a few hoses and what nots, i gotta get a different hose for the fuel line hookup so it can meet the carb right. the circle on the side with all the bars and sliders is just to show where my throttle cable comes in. I can kinda guess where everything goes based off the old one but if any of yall with a similar carb take a picture of yours for me that woulld be amazing, i dont wanna rig this truck like grampa had it, i wanna make her right again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts