Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive been driving her every other day for about a week, I've already got a valve cover gasket at home ready to go in because shes definitely leaking from 3 different spots on the valve cover. I checked the oil today after getting her tagged and cleaned (will post before and after pictures later) and there's a trace of milk in it every other pull of the dipstick. Im not sure if the coolant runs through the lower intake manifold or not, I've had quite a time trying to find exploded views of my 4.1L. Just need to know if I should go ahead and do the head gasket while I'm already tearing into it for the valve cover? Going to take it in for a transmission flush and diiff service as soon as I figure out this mess!!!

·
Super Moderator
188 Posts
Make sure it's not just normal condensation that is causing the slight emulsification of the engine oil . If the head gasket was gone you should usually see a drop in coolant level , pressurising of rad hoses Check the engine is breathing o.k as this can also cause it as does short journeys when engine working temp is often not reached or driven while hot to clear cobwebs .If in doubt carry out a block test to confirm or not .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make sure it's not just normal condensation that is causing the slight emulsification of the engine oil . If the head gasket was gone you should usually see a drop in coolant level , pressurising of rad hoses Check the engine is breathing o.k as this can also cause it as does short journeys when engine working temp is often not reached or driven while hot to clear cobwebs .If in doubt carry out a block test to confirm or not .
By block test do you mean compression test or dye test? I drove it the longest i ever have yesterday AND it was on the highway. Shes never gotten past the 1/4 mark on the temp gauge, and usually the oil pressure gauge sits in between 1/4 and 1/2 and on the highway she dropped down to the 1/4 mark, I'm guessing cause of the warmed up valve cover leaks. is not a lot of milk and its only on the dipstick every so often.

·
Super Moderator
188 Posts
Block test is dye test . Also if thermostat is stuck open and engine not reaching operating temp will not help in clearing any condensation produced . For every gallon of fuel used it produces water / condensation , cant remember exact figures .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Block test is dye test . Also if thermostat is stuck open and engine not reaching operating temp will not help in clearing any condensation produced . For every gallon of fuel used it produces water / condensation , cant remember exact figures .
so I need to dye test and check on the thermostat. It did sit for at least a couple years

1 - 8 of 8 Posts