Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im trying to figure this all out. I counted my gear teeth and it seems I have 4.10 gears in my 64 stepside truck. Im going to change out my engine to a 305 w/ a 350. I also know that ill need to adjust the length of my driveshaft....My question is am I going to have to change out my gears as well??? I know the 350 is a more popular engine, but I just want a little different look.

I plan on just driving it a few days a week to work and on weekends. Not going to race it at all. Might go to a few car shows around the area as well.

Any thoughts/suggestions???...and thank you in advance

Duane

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Morning Duane, So you are going to install 350 engine and a TH350 transmission..? You may not have to shorten driveshaft, if you get the th350 with the 6 inch tail housing would be the same length as your 3 speed, but only a tape measure would confirm that, the spline count is the same.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Running with 4.10 gears in the rear axle will get annoying after a while not to mention lousy maligned a lot of wear engine wise your current build plan will get you to about 3,100 rpm at 65 MPH, depending on your use later on you can change gears or entire rear axle, look for one with 3.08 to 3.42 gears from a `65 to`70 they were all 6 lug after that they went to 5 lug or you can rebuild your rear axle with new bearings and gears of your choice...
http://www.jawsgear.com/truck-9/

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im looking to go with a 305 engine with a 350 trans....but if I need to change the trans to a more suitable one for a floor shifter im open to that...

I might change out the gears myself.....I can get the stuff out ok but putting it back together right is another story...lol

Thanks for the replies so far....I've saved that page for the gear sets so it doesn't get lost this time...

Duane

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Im looking to go with a 305 engine with a 350 trans....but if I need to change the trans to a more suitable one for a floor shifter im open to that...

I might change out the gears myself.....I can get the stuff out ok but putting it back together right is another story...lol

Thanks for the replies so far....I've saved that page for the gear sets so it doesn't get lost this time...

Duane
You can also use the 200r4 transmission it comes in lockup and non lockup converter, same length as the TH 350, but trans mount is further back by six inches which is easy if the cab is off, finale ratio of the TH200r4 is .69 I believe which would give you a finale cruising ratio of about 3.30..
Duane are you hard set for an automatic...?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well.......auto trans is my 1st choice. I can drive a manual but ill have to teach my kids how to drive a stick sometime down the road...

Hopefully I can get this project done by that time....ive got 5-6 yrs!!!!

Duane

1 - 7 of 7 Posts