Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to the forum,

I have done some research on this forum and others and can not get a clear answer so some help would be gratefully appreciated. I have a 1984 c10 with the 4.1L 250 inline 6. The gauges I have are the red lights, I want to install mechanical gauges (picked up a 3 pair,oil,temp and volt) But I am not sure which oil sender to hook it to (where is uit located on a 6 cylinder and where is the temp sender??) and if it will interfere with the choke light. All the information I have read is on either the 305 or 350 but not a inline 6. Thank you ALL very much!!!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
David welcome to the forum first off, so back to your ?.... Gm in '64 offered two dash packages, one is gauges one is idiot lights, wish it was a matter of just replacing them but not there is a fai amount of wiring to go with the gauges, I have to do a search as to the harness conversion but will get back to you, are these the factory gauges or aftermarket, post a pic if you can.....!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David welcome to the forum first off, so back to your ?.... Gm in '64 offered two dash packages, one is gauges one is idiot lights, wish it was a matter of just replacing them but not there is a fai amount of wiring to go with the gauges, I have to do a search as to the harness conversion but will get back to you, are these the factory gauges or aftermarket, post a pic if you can.....!
Sir thank you for the reply, The stock gauges are the idiot lights, I want to leave the stock gauges and simply ADD a mechanical temp,oil and volt gauge...

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Dave the volt meter needs a 12 volt switched wire, the pink wire from your ignition switch would be one, the other wire would be a ground, the oil pressure gauge would be a 1/8 th pipe thread, you would have to build yourself a tee fitting arangement to fit the stock gauge pressure switch and the mechanical together, the temp I`m kind of at a loss right now, if you raise the temp sender unit up from the water jacket you will get false readings ( cold all the time) so you can`t tie into it, maybe someone else will have an idea, I`m not the six cylinder guru but there may be more than one place for a temp sender....!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that now i have 2 of the the 3 installed. I have no idea how to do the oil gauge... Pics would help lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.