Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is time to bolt the sheet metal on my 292, including valve cover, oil pan, and valve lifter covers. I see that Permatex sells sealers and gasket maker/sealers. I have new gaskets. What should I use to seal them? Any special instructions besides clean surfaces?

I am replacing one block expansion plug. What material to use to seal that interface?

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I use Permatex High Tack Gasket sealer....Some put it on both sides of gaskets I only put it on the side that comes off ( valve cover, oil pan, it is easier when replacing it later or you want to remove it for inspection or repair) then let it set. Install when gasket stays put. freeze plugs I suppose you could use the same thing but I put them in dry just get it square and use a socket that fits inside and drive it in.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sealer

Thanks; I will order a can of the sealer for the gaskets.

In my past experience installing expansion plugs, I have driven them in using the rim and not the inside of the cup.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Getting any of GM`s engines (first gen) to seal up is a B&&&h, when I built my coupe engine in 2001 I used straight Blue RTV on the pan, no gasket it held all these years till this last year...its starting to leak around the back right side, Im going to try and get in there to tighten it slightly...if it don't stop i will have t pull the engine to change it out....arrrghh

Attachments

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
A friend of mine had a 37 Ford coupe all steel with a BBC that thing would get down the road in a hurry. Had all new interior put in right after he bought it with electric seats and power windows that was fun wiring in. When he passed his wife sold it to a buyer from England.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts