Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I'm currently in the process of relieving myself of pointless debt (building an LS engine for another project then trading it for a motorcycle :p ) and will complete this task early next year. Once I purchase a new daily driver, I will retire my 86 C10 (5.0/700R4) to weekend warrior status and I would like to do a few things to make it an enjoyable weekend vehicle, but also keep it usable for chores or short trips.

Since my knowledge is mainly based within the LS family of engines, I have a few questions regarding the older SBC platform used within my truck..

The 5.0L was rebuilt in 2014, currently has around 30K and runs out great with no issues. Are these engines flat-tappet or roller? I would like a little more aggressive cam without having a upgrade the stock valve springs (if possible). What is the max lift the stock valve springs will allow? Mainly just looking for a higher LSA for more of a lopey sound when idling while maintaining driveability. I would obviously need to know what type of camshaft to seek out.

Also, even though the stock 700R4 is going strong at nearly 200K, I have always had good luck with Monster Transmission products (clutches, etc.). Their custom 700R4 units come in many different ratings and I've been looking at their 500hp max unit. Seems to be quite the unit for the $1400 price tag. Currently looking into the stage 2 shift package with everything else remaining what they offer at the purchase price. Would the truck benefit from a higher stall converter? What is the stall of the factory converter?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
Chuck

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Chuck the older 305`s are hydraulic camed motors, the 305`s/5.0 engines highest out put ever was 220 horse with a special set of heads by gm casting number=14014416, used on LG4 and HO engines, yes you can build a little more horsepower into it, but you need the compression to do it..you can use the Lunati cam Streetmaster hydraulic non-roller-tappet grinds that offers reasonable idle quality with just a touch of that performance "rump-rump" so dear to our hearts. At least that's how it behaves in a benchmark 350; the cam is a tad more radical in a smaller displacement motor. http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2466&gid=278
Your stock convertor is right at 1800 rpm.
Personally I would not bother with it, wrong rod to bore ratio, yes you can build it but at what price...best bang for your buck right now would be to by a new GM vortec 350 crate engine..or crate engine thru summit..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the advice and information. My main reason for wanting to dump a little money into the 305 is just to have something enjoyable to roll around in while saving the money for an eventual LS swap. Will that particular camshaft require a valve spring upgrade?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I would say yes, if your not racing it probably get away without new springs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts