Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,
can anyone advise me on a fuel gauge/sender problem, the gauge just suddenly
stopped working, I disconnected and briefly earthed the wire (brown) to the sender unit but the gauge didn't move ! would this indicate a faulty gauge or do I have a problem elsewhere ? does the gauge have a fuse ? any help would be
appreciated, the truck is a 73 C10 stepside with one tank on the right hand side.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Jethro, we just went thru this with another member same year truck so I just copied it so we`ll start there..a few ways to test fuel gauges...

disconnect the sending unit at the tank... the gauge should go all the way one direction...

ground the wire you remove from the sending unit.. that you have verified is the gauge wire to the tank or sending unit .. the gauge should swing all the way the other direction...

this verifies the gauge and wiring is working..

if when you disconnect the sending unit.. and the gauge goes one direction.. and when you ground the wire to the tank.. it does not move all the way the other direction.. try a different ground ... if you have a bad ground at the tank.. it won't cause the gauge to swing..

this problem could be at the instrument cluster voltage regulator or the dash board ground connection.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel Gauge,

Hi, thanks for that information, I will recheck the wire I grounded
to make sure its the right one, will have a better look at the weekend,
many thanks,

·
Registered
3 Posts
great advice bro, I have an 84 SWB C10 with dual tanks and my fuel gauge needle moves from E to F then lays flat. Also I have the dual tank switch, I tried moving it to the opposite tank still no movement on the gauge. So, I'm going to give this a try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts