Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guy's,
Just a quick question.
Spring may finally be around the corner and my Wife & I are getting the itch to drive her 72 Cheyenne. The problem is, the gas gauge is always stuck at 1/2 a tank. Where & how should i start the problem solve? Should i get a new float first or a sending unit or both. Just wondering if anyone has encountered this problem before and what was your findings.
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I would start with the sender, but that was my case, just lucky, not sure, sender was all corroded once pulled out and almost fell apart. Ecklers sells floats and senders separetly, but the cost is cheap enough just to buy them both and be done with it..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Before you buy a sender, test what you have to ensure the gauge is good. Pull the wire off the sending unit and turn the key on; it should go to "full". Then use a jumper to hook into the sending unit lead wire, and ground the wire to a good ground source, and it will go to "empty".
If it performs correctly, then you can proceed to a sending unit knowing the gauge is fine. If it doesn't, then you need to look at the gauge, or wiring before a sending unit is purchased.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts