Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and I have a 1964 C10. I am Currently looking at 283 engine that is a front mounted engine that a prerson wants to sell me.

The engine that was in my 64 was sold and it was the side rear mounts. Has anyone installed a front mounted engine into a 64? What is needed to do a conversion if I moved forward with this engine? My frame does have an extra set of holes forward of the rear mounted engine location from the last engine (SBC 350)

Thank you guys for your help in advanced.

Tony

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Tony: I have been working on small block Chevy's for over 50 years and have never seen a SBC engine that did not have the cast holes in the block to use side motor mounts. Take a look at the one he has for sale it should have the mounting holes to put it in your truck. Just take the front mounts off.:Danim_25

·
Registered
56 Posts
Tony: I have been working on small block Chevy's for over 50 years and have never seen a SBC engine that did not have the cast holes in the block to use side motor mounts. Take a look at the one he has for sale it should have the mounting holes to put it in your truck. Just take the front mounts off.:Danim_25
55 through 57 had the front mounts only, I think when they put the 348 in the 58 cars is when they changed and went to both mounting positions. The front mount holes had more than one purpose, if you are changing out a mechanical fuel pump put a longer 3/8 bolt in the top passenger mount hole and tighten before you remove the pump it will hold the rod that actuates the pump, making the pump much easier to install. FWIW

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cookseyb and CFFisher,

Thank you for your response and advise. I spoke with the seller and he sweears there are no provisons for a side mount. I've changed my mind anyway and looking at a small block 350 or a big block to go into my 64.

I also just picked up a 65 C10 short bed that I will also be restoring and I have a chevy 72 402 that with aluminum heads that will go into that truck.

I am going to start a new thread on that install to see what you guys have done in that regards. Looking forward to hearing and learning more more from you guys.

Thank you

Tony

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Hi Everyone,

My frame does have an extra set of holes forward of the rear mounted engine location from the last engine (SBC 350)

Thank you guys for your help in advanced.

Tony
Tony to make the BB install real easy for you, the rear engine mount holes plant the big or small block distributor right up against the firewall, ( tall valve covers are out of the question ) using the forward holes really cramps the rad to fan issues, now if you split the difference in the factory holes by drilling new holes for the engine stands side mount is the best for both ends, most guys are doing this for BB engine installs, you will have to relocate rear crossmember....!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
406Rich,

I just bought a pair of CPP Perches from summit Racing. I also contacted CPP and they assured me that they're perches will give more clearance for the header installation.

Also, looking at using 72 Chevelle headers for a manual installation. Using a Muncie 4 speed. DO you know of anyone going the route as I am?

Thanks for the advice on drilling holes and relocationg to crossmember that may come into play if the perches dont work out. :)

Tony

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Tony, probably half the the trucks out there are Big block 4 speed..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thak everyone for the grea advice and I have came across a great opportunity to pick up a 1986 Corvette engine with the factory aluminum heads. The eninge hasnt even been fired up yet. Only one problem that I just submitted a post on.

The angled plug heads and header options. Please see that post

Thanks guys.

Tony

1 - 8 of 8 Posts