Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!! It's been about 20 years since I've messed with drum brakes so I'm sure I'm missing something here. But, I'm in the process of replacing the shoes, springs, wheel cylinders, etc...on the front of my C10. I got everything put on but the new drum won't slide back on. I have the adjuster all the way in, the top of the shoe is butted up to the stud as it should be. I haven't pulled the driver side down (just so I had a point of reference while doing the passenger side) and everything seems to be in the correct place. I can't figure it out for the life of me....HELP!!!!!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you once again 406Rich! Appears that this write up is for the rear and I'm currently fighting with the front drum, that shouldn't matter though, correct? I retraced all my steps based on these pics and everything is where it should be. I've cracked open the bleeder just to relieve any pressure that may have been in there, the shoes are in the correct spots, the adjuster is all the way in and it looks to me as if there is no more room for the whole assembly to compress any further. Should I just tear it back down and start over??

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Thank you once again 406Rich! Appears that this write up is for the rear and I'm currently fighting with the front drum, that shouldn't matter though, correct? I retraced all my steps based on these pics and everything is where it should be. I've cracked open the bleeder just to relieve any pressure that may have been in there, the shoes are in the correct spots, the adjuster is all the way in and it looks to me as if there is no more room for the whole assembly to compress any further. Should I just tear it back down and start over??
Have you got the short shoe on the front of each wheel. can you send a clear pic of the brake setup so we can view it....?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I found the isue...short and long shoes were mixed up. Thanks for the input though 406Rich!! Once again you've come thru!
correct short shoe always goes on the front of each wheel, but looking at your pic the starr adjuster looks awful long, maybe its just an illusion...just for giggles compare that starr adjuster to your original....that also may be the issue..

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
The star adjuster is on wrong it needs to be rotated 90 degrees The ends of the star should be vertical.
You got it Charlie,,,,he`s got them on the horizontal section of the shoe, needs to be on the vertical center beam of the shoe...beer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the help everyone!! I indeed had the adjuster in the wrong spot...been a lot of years since I've been in a set of drums! Funny thing is, I hadn't torn down the drivers side yet but that wasn't standing out to me!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.