Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning a drop in the front of 4 to 6 inches, not sure. I was thinking spindles and springs. I have a 63 C20 with 8 lug drum brakes and I haven't found spindles to fit. Do they make them? Can I get them with drum brakes? Do I just suck at looking for parts? haha

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I was planning a drop in the front of 4 to 6 inches, not sure. I was thinking spindles and springs. I have a 63 C20 with 8 lug drum brakes and I haven't found spindles to fit. Do they make them? Can I get them with drum brakes? Do I just suck at looking for parts? haha
I believe you`ll have to change to 6 or 5 lug hubs, just not sure that the 8 lug spindles/bearings are the same size..( maybe ) you`ll have to change wheels in any case to clear the calipers anyways...spindle wise its just a swap everything is the same..! This is where you`ll have to make decisions...front and rear....!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe you`ll have to change to 6 or 5 lug hubs, just not sure that the 8 lug spindles/bearings are the same size..( maybe ) you`ll have to change wheels in any case to clear the calipers anyways...spindle wise its just a swap everything is the same..! This is where you`ll have to make decisions...front and rear....!
I'm not finding anything. I just heard there's nothing for drum brakes. My plan was to lower the front and leave the back stock. I'm going for that stink bug look all jacked up in the back. Taller tires in back with small wheels in front.

I hadn't planned on attacking stance yet. But now that I've got the brakes apart it makes sense to get it done. I'll want it lowered in the next six months anyway. Don't want to get too far off course and let it drag on either. Gotta think! Hahaha! I just spotted a 75 C10 parts truck for $350. Waiting to here if it's got all the front end.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
When I get home I'll give you a few tips, can't do it on my phone, too small

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
If you do the parts swap with the `75, you can just use the spindles, calipers, rotors, you can also use the power steering if equipped, master /booster prop valve, brake lines, rear axle, engine/trans, trans crossmember, engine mounts and so on...
four ways to do the swap,

#1 spindles only. use `73 to `87 ball joints, and new dual sized adjuster leaves for the tie rod ends..

#2 use both spindles and upper and lower control arms from donor.

#3 use entire front crossmember from donor.

#4 new drop spindles with all the attaching stuff from donor truck.. on your control arms..not the donor or on the donor...

Things to consider,

#1 60 to 66 used steel bushed control arms, good point is less deflection, more road noise...`67 on up rubber bushed control arms, more deflection less road noise...
if you do entire crossmember swap engine needs to be pulled out as mounts directly to crossmember..
If you do a partial swap spindles and brakes use the larger u-bolts that hold the lower control arms from the later model trucks...safety factor..
and when done with this you`ll be on five or six lug wheels...your choice...although more options with five lug...
confused yet....!anim_63

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found this near by.

A buddy says I could get drop spindles for this and they'll fit my control arms and change the ball joints then rob the hubs and disc brakes from it. I'm thinking I could use the hydroboost and the dually rear end too.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Just heard back. The guy still has the truck minus the hydroboost.
That is a C30, nothing is interchangeable as far as suspension...!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is a C30, nothing is interchangeable as far as suspension...!
Yeah, that would have been too easy. haha! I got an email this morning the other guy still has the 75 C10 he's checking what's left of the front end. He's a hour away or I'd run out there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I heard back from the guy with the 75. He says all the brakes and suspension are there untouched. I'm going to go check it out this weekend.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Looks to be a 4x4, you may want to ask him that before you go....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts