Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here have any experience with installing a new front coil spring into the frame without any weight on it? I am trying to compress the coil spring from the bottom control arm and I am not having much luck. I get the spring compressed as much as I can but it's not all the way, ran out of muscle to compress the spring. I can't get it to clear the bottom of the K frame where it seats to it, I can get it just shy of it. Need some tip or trick to get it all the way compressed. my pneumatic wrench doesn't have enough juice to get it any more and I get to a point where I can't turn the tool anymore, I am afraid to leave it for too long but I suppose I have to to rest for a couple of hours and try cranking on it some more.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Has anyone here have any experience with installing a new front coil spring into the frame without any weight on it? I am trying to compress the coil spring from the bottom control arm and I am not having much luck. I get the spring compressed as much as I can but it's not all the way, ran out of muscle to compress the spring. I can't get it to clear the bottom of the K frame where it seats to it, I can get it just shy of it. Need some tip or trick to get it all the way compressed. my pneumatic wrench doesn't have enough juice to get it any more and I get to a point where I can't turn the tool anymore, I am afraid to leave it for too long but I suppose I have to to rest for a couple of hours and try cranking on it some more.
Having no weight on it makes it extremely hard...can you get a bunch of friends over to stand on the frame...?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I don't think that I have that many friends to do that, I do have the engine and trans but I would have to clean and paint the crossmember and measure where it would mount as I have a 700r4 going back on.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Yeah, I don't think that I have that many friends to do that, I do have the engine and trans but I would have to clean and paint the crossmember and measure where it would mount as I have a 700r4 going back on.
Its just a matter of getting 4 - 500 lbs on it, four people at least...with blocks under the control arms then crank down on the spring compressor should do it..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it compressed and almost into place, but I can't quite get it to seat on the upper side of the K frame, I am thinking of getting a strap and trying to pull it from the other side of the K frame. I have compressed it several times to try and align it and so far no luck, this thing is kicking my butt and I still have the other side to do.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Got it compressed and almost into place, but I can't quite get it to seat on the upper side of the K frame, I am thinking of getting a strap and trying to pull it from the other side of the K frame. I have compressed it several times to try and align it and so far no luck, this thing is kicking my butt and I still have the other side to do.
You`re talking of the tail of the spring into the pocket...? is it after or before the pocket..?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's on the outside of the pocket, I have to pull it in towards the frame about a half an inch and it looks like it will seat, I am going to try some straps and pull it from the frame, the coil spring compressor is not working any more and now I have the hooks of the compressor stuck in the coil spring, I am hoping that once it seats it will give me enough room to twist it out, when I try it as it is one of the hooks will keep it from straightening out and dropping through the control arm, I even tried moog tech line and they said to put weight on it.:mad:

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
It's on the outside of the pocket, I have to pull it in towards the frame about a half an inch and it looks like it will seat, I am going to try some straps and pull it from the frame, the coil spring compressor is not working any more and now I have the hooks of the compressor stuck in the coil spring, I am hoping that once it seats it will give me enough room to twist it out, when I try it as it is one of the hooks will keep it from straightening out and dropping through the control arm, I even tried moog tech line and they said to put weight on it.:mad:
Its tough..been there before in my earlier days..!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got one side done, I believe I figured out what happened, I don't think that I had the top of the spring lined up with the kframe. Once I got that done I got it up in there and pulled it into place with a tow strap from the other side control arm.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Cool, you`re getting there...! beer

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On a side note, what is the round hole on the top of what ever that is on the control arm next to the slit for the bumper for?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Having a hard time figuring out what you`re asking...!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
This one here.
The secondary raised area is little more than half of your rubber bump stop, in the event you compress the bump stop more that what the factory had intended this would stop any more compression of the spring and the possibility of breaking it or other parts...!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool, thanks for the info. It feels good to have those done now. Now if I can only find what I did with my rubber stops.anim_63

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info. It feels good to have those done now. Now if I can only find what I did with my rubber stops.anim_63
Sense you did not press them in when you pressed in the ball joints, you`ll need a large c-clamp to press them down in the slots, use a little vaseline on the opening..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts