Chevy C10 Trucks banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has any body here have there License Plate Restored and If they liked the work Who was the shop that did the work.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sadly I think picking a good shop to do this specific task is a crap shoot, since very few places even advertise that they will restore license plates. I have personally restored my share, and it is time consuming. I would find a good hot rod shop and ask them how they want the plates prepped. Likely you'll need to straighten them out while they are still painted...hammer and dolly time, strip them down after straightening by bead blasting with a very MILD abrasive, OR (if no rust) simply sand the old paint with 320 to 600 grit. If the paint isn't flaking and there's no rust, cutting the surface and smoothing it out is enough for new paint to adhere - get into all the nooks and crannies. At this point you can paint yourself or bring to a shop to shoot sealer and base coat (single stage). Once dry, bring them to a sign painter or pinstriped and have them match the old color of the letters with One Shot. This is the long way around, but the process isn't a quick one. Honestly, you could have 1 hour or 4 or 5 hrs (depending on how good they are to start) into a set of plates before they are even lettered. Good luck.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sadly I think picking a good shop to do this specific task is a crap shoot, since very few places even advertise that they will restore license plates. I have personally restored my share, and it is time consuming. I would find a good hot rod shop and ask them how they want the plates prepped. Likely you'll need to straighten them out while they are still painted...hammer and dolly time, strip them down after straightening by bead blasting with a very MILD abrasive, OR (if no rust) simply sand the old paint with 320 to 600 grit. If the paint isn't flaking and there's no rust, cutting the surface and smoothing it out is enough for new paint to adhere - get into all the nooks and crannies. At this point you can paint yourself or bring to a shop to shoot sealer and base coat (single stage). Once dry, bring them to a sign painter or pinstriped and have them match the old color of the letters with One Shot. This is the long way around, but the process isn't a quick one. Honestly, you could have 1 hour or 4 or 5 hrs (depending on how good they are to start) into a set of plates before they are even lettered. Good luck.

My be I should have showed it in the first place.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Vintage License Plates

Hi Folks
There's a couple guys here in Iowa that restore plates.
I had about $100 in a set for my 1937 Chevy.
Contact
Dave Davis
Jefferson Iowa
(515)370-0283

Hawkeye

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vintage License Plates

Hi Folks
There's a couple guys here in Iowa that restore plates.
I had about $100 in a set for my 1937 Chevy.
Contact
Dave Davis
Jefferson Iowa
(515)370-0283

Hawkeye
Do these guys have a Brick and Mortar Shop, you know are they licensed in that state to do Business of restoring license plates of different states? I tried googling your info and got "squat" no info at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts