Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
My names Jon. I gotta couple old chevys a 66 and a 62. The 66 is a runner with a 327 and 700r4 1500miles on the build. Needs a new set of pipes as the headers are from the first time my late great pops put em on it back in 2003 thin cheap headers. Truck has four wheel disc. Motor has a factor large journal forged steel crank from a corvette and forged flat tops with a set of 186 heads humps with the holes. Mild Elgin cam nothing crazy built for a cruiser. My other project is a 1962 short bed step side budget build. Putting a 383 I got on a trade for a ranchero. Also I’m in the middle of a front suspension upgrade. I’m swapping out for a 78 front crossmember. My plan is to swap to the later style discs as parts are more available and cheaper. With the front end I also bought a 72 12 bolt rear as a package deal for 1100 little pricy but I’m impulsive lol. Diddnt realize that 60-62 were different till after I got the rear so debating on making work or going another route like explorer posi. Any who different post. Thank for letting me on them are my projects I’ll posting more on them and asking questions as soon as I learn to navigate these forums.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Jon, looks like a great project. Not sure how far along you are with your 78 K frame installation but I have done something similar, I got the entire assembly off an 85 C10 and put it under my 64 C10. I have run across a little problem though, the idler arm was no good on either vehicle so I bought a new one for the 85. When I installed it the tie rod ends won't allow a rear angle far enough for the outer tie rod ends to reach the spindle bosses where they fit. It looks like the idler arm on your 78 is the same style as the original on my 64, it appears to "fold back" over itself. Is that the way the original 62 idler arm looked? I am pretty sure the drag link is different also, thinking the 64 is longer than the 85 model I have now also. Would definitely be interested in finding out which linkages you use to make everything work. Also, have you considered an air ride system for your truck? I put one in mine after I had bought new springs front and rear so the springs had to come out but that is OK. Think the air ride will be much better than the original suspension. I have all sorts of photos on my truck, if you are interested let me know. One thing that disappoints me about this site is either I am doing things that nobody else has tried or they don't have time to help. If I can be of assistance just let me know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts