Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a my first classic truck, a 1961 C10 Apache. I want to replace the stock 3 speed with a manual 5 or 6 speed transmission. What recommendations do you all have will allow for me to keep the bench seat? I also need recommendations on headers that the collector box won't drag the ground as the previous owner has lowered the vehicle? Thanks!!

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I would call Hooker about your headers. The trans. You chose will determine the linkage you use. I put a Chevy 4 speed in my truck and have a floor shift in it (Hurst) its a tall stick. They are adjustable to an extent you can tilt them forward. You may be able to get a top shifter for it??

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The top shift is what I was looking at, I just wasn't sure how far back where the shifter is located on the trans as it relates to the bench seat. Thanks!!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
As Charlie said it all depends on what trans you end up with, saginaws, muncie's and t10's, all side mount shifters will require the 57 Chevy hurst style stick, the 5 speeds all top mounts will need to be removed and heated / bent to clear the stock seat, the headers you didnot say what engine you have and how much drop in suspension....?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts