Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 20 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am finally starting a thread on my fathers 69 GMC with the original 396/402 B.B. still in it.

I am sad to say my fathers passed away last February, so needles to say i have had the attitude lately too "live life like there is no tomorrow".

With my wife's blessing, i am bring the truck back home from fathers house next week end, she is going up on jack stands, and i am going to go threw everything from bumper to bumper since she has basically been sitting since i gave the truck back to my dad in 1985, and start driving her again. The plan is to wait another 3 to 4 more years, and then i will start a frame off project with my son who is only 9 years old now.

So even though the truck is still at my dads house tucked away in his garage, my son (Logan) and i started to do some work for the truck today. This weekend i had to deliver a 57 Nomad that i have been storing for a friend the last 3 years back to its home in Santa Rosa, and of-course it was also the Sacramento swap meet at Arco Arena so i just had to stop in, good thing i did, because i killed it... :D

To make a long story short, when i was driving my fathers truck at the prime old age of 16 years old, a friend of mine got his truck stuck in the mud and asked me to pull him out, of course being the IDIOT teenager i was i said suuuure!!!!. He threw me a chain, and not knowing any better i wrapped it threw the bottom of the front grill and around the front bumper. WELL!!!! you can just imagine the rest. The chain destroyed the bottom of the grill and bent and tweaked the front bumper pretty good.

[/URL][/IMG]

So my mission at the swap meet was to find a grill & bumper for the 69, needles to say, mission accomplished...

I picked up this front grill attached to the radiator support with the the head light bezels, blinkers and a extra bezel and the original front light wiring harness. The guy wanted 220 bucks for the whole set up, but i walked away with it for 120 dollars, thanks American Pickers, lessons learned anim_63 I also found a front bumper for 20 bucks.

[/URL][/IMG]

So my fathers original grill was not painted black, so i found some non toxic paint remover, and put my son to work...

[/URL][/IMG]

I also gave him a bottle of Mothers Wax and showed him the basics, i must say it brought tears to my eyes to see my son soooo motivated to work on grandpas truck....

[/URL][/IMG]

so this is what we started with...

[/URL][/IMG]

and this is what we ended up with...

[/URL][/IMG]

It is bye no means a show quality grill, but it is soooo much better than the one i destroyed over 20 plus years ago. I will probably spring for a new grill when we do the frame of in 3 to 4 years.

So after the truck sitting for the last 20 some years, the tires are all but ruined and dry rotted, so i plan on purchasing a new set of Rally Sport chrome rims and hub caps with a new set of rubber on them. I would like to run a 8" wide rim in the front, and a 10" wide rim in the rear. As of now, the front coils were heated up by my father back in 1985 to lower the truck. I plan on installing a new set of stock height coils with a 2"drop spindle's when i up grade to disc brakes. The rear end we also lowered, we removed the rear end from the bottom of the lief springs and put it on top of the lief spring, i also plan on installing a 2" lowering block to get rid of the stink bug stance in the rear....

[/URL][/IMG]

So with all of that being said, what size tires would you recommend for the front & the rear of the truck? and is it possible to run a 10" wide rim on the rear with out having to start tubing the rear end? My game plan besides lowering the truck, and adding A/C, power/disc brakes up front and maybe a 700R4 down the road to bring the truck back to its original state including the olive green paint with a white top.

I will keep posting up updates and pics as soon as i get the truck back home next week end. I don't know who is more excited to bring the truck home, me or my son anim_63

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more quick question!!!!

I have heard that you can purchase the option sticker that goes on the inside of the glove box door blank, and then you type in the options, i have looked threw my LMC and my Truck & Car shop catalog, and cannot find these stickers any were. Does anybody know were to pick these up at?

She is looking a little ruff these days...

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
493 Posts
Cool story. Having a truck with family lineage is so great, takes the effort to a whole new meaning. Color me green with envy.

I have a SPID (Service Parts Identification) sticker I created in Microsoft Excel. I'll send you a free copy, just PM me your email address. You may need to tweek it a bit as I created it using a '66 SPID as a reference. Hard to beat free fahne19

Got any pictures of the interior and of that big cube engine bay?

·
Administrator
72 Posts
I have been following tour thread on trifive.How many people can say they got the truck you got.Sorry about your Dad.In my Fathers later years he drove a Gremlin...yes I said it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool story. Having a truck with family lineage is so great, takes the effort to a whole new meaning. Color me green with envy.

I have a SPID (Service Parts Identification) sticker I created in Microsoft Excel. I'll send you a free copy, just PM me your email address. You may need to tweek it a bit as I created it using a '66 SPID as a reference. Hard to beat free fahne19

Got any pictures of the interior and of that big cube engine bay?

That is so cool THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!! i will send you a P.M. with my mailing address...

the motor and interior are a little dirty, but that all will soon change when i get her home this week end...

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

I have been following tour thread on trifive.How many people can say they got the truck you got.Sorry about your Dad.In my Fathers later years he drove a Gremlin...yes I said it.
Thanks buddy!!!!

My Father continue to live on threw his truck...:) I will continue to post pics here and on the TriFive forum as progress continues .

And those little Gremlins were Bad A**....

·
Registered
493 Posts
Awesome as is, gonna be even better when you're done. Love the custom wheel too. With that big block she's gotta be a tire smoker! :cool:

Thanks for posting the additional photo's. I learned how to drive in my Dad's '72 long bed C20. Hugger Orange with a white cab roof. Those photos bring back a lot of memories.

You going to stick with the stock green paint?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Awesome as is, gonna be even better when you're done. Love the custom wheel too. With that big block she's gotta be a tire smoker! :cool:

Thanks for posting the additional photo's. I learned how to drive in my Dad's '72 long bed C20. Hugger Orange with a white cab roof. Those photos bring back a lot of memories.

You going to stick with the stock green paint?
She is a great tire smoker, but only a 1 legger, so i plan on having a shop take out the 4:11's and go to a set of 3:08's with a posi so she is a little more friendly on the freeway to drive, I PLAN ON DRIVING HER ALLOT THIS SUMMER. I don't like the R.P.M.s the motor is seeing going down the highway at 65.

I have allot of memories with my dad in the truck and it was what i learned to drive in, and she was also my first set of wheel's when i was in H.S.

And as far as the Olive Green...YOU BET....she is going back to the original Olive green with the white top...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She even has my football stickers still stuck to the roof when i played football at Incline H.S.

[/URL][/IMG]

You can still see were the old ones were stuck to the rear view mirror, but my dad scraped them off, guess i cant blame him....

I think i am going to try and keep that sticker there for as long as i can...the good ole' days anim_63

·
Registered
794 Posts
This is going to be a great project starting with an unmolested truck.And what a great way to spend time with your son.Seems like he is ready to go.So many kids today wouldn't be interested,would rather play video games.If I could only turn back time.Good luck with it.
David

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is going to be a great project starting with an unmolested truck.And what a great way to spend time with your son.Seems like he is ready to go.So many kids today wouldn't be interested,would rather play video games.If I could only turn back time.Good luck with it.
David
Thanks Dave...

DEFINITELY looking forward to the father son time together....

I must admit i am a little surprised at how much a gear head Logan is turning out to be, but i guess taking him to car shows and teaching him how to work on his R/C rock crawler is paying off. He does like his videos games, computer and T.V. time, but we make sure we limit him on everything except on how much time he helps me out in the garage... anim_63

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Kids are never to young to learn, I spent all the time I could in the garage with my dad, and my boys were the same way. Great way to bond

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kids are never to young to learn, I spent all the time I could in the garage with my dad, and my boys were the same way. Great way to bond
I could not agree more....

nice looking dual 2 barrels you have there.....or are they 4 barrels??

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So i just spent the last hour packing tools, checking tire pressure's and greasing the wheel bearing's on my car trailer in preparation for a 4 hour road trip out to my fathers house tomorrow night after work to bring the 69 back home to my house :D

I have this funny feeling that it is going to be a sleepless night in anticipation of bring the old girl back to my house and getting her back on the road again.

But i guess it really does not matter, for the last year i have noticed i can not sleep in anymore, and i pop tall with 5 to 6 hours of sleep, but i guess on the bright side, it will give me more time to wrench on the truck....sleep is overrated anyway anim_63

I think now i will spend a little time making a laundry list of parts and gaskets i am going to need from Summit to get the truck back in tip top shape...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Guys....

The family and my fathers GMC made it home safe and sound...

I must say it was a BITTER SWEET weekend since this was the first i have been to my fathers house since he has passed, but bringing the truck home for Logan and i to start working on it TOGETHER.... i must say has made the heeling process a little bit easier....:)

Here is a pic of Logan in Grandpas truck after i loaded it up on the car trailer, he actually asked me if he could ride in the truck on the trailer all the way back home... as much as i wanted to say yes, i know i would have ended up in the dog house with the wife and in jail with Johnny law anim_63

[/URL][/IMG]

So even though the truck is non-oped for the time being, i HAD to take Logan for a ride around the block a couple of times before i pulled the truck in the garage and start working on it. I was just AMAZED on how smoooooth the motor still ran after basically sitting for 30 plus some years.

So the truck is in the garage and i am ready to start tearing in to it. So it looks like Ole' Bess now has a YOUNGER boyfriend to hang out with now anim_63

[/URL][/IMG]

So this is a little off subject, but i still wanted to share it anyway.

My fathers house is across the street from a GORGEOUS park, and the last time i was out at his hours about 4 months ago, i noticed there were some workers setting and cementing in some nice looking metal flag poles, needles to say i never gave it another thought.

Well when i woke up this morning, i noticed all the flag poles and flags flying in the breeze, so i walked across the street with my morning cup coffee to go check it out, it turns out they designed a memorial for all the Vets who have served our country. Needles to say i was a little over come with emotions.

This is a view of the memorial from my fathers front yard.

[/URL][/IMG]

So as it turn's out as i was loading my fathers truck up on the car trailer this morning, the workers showed up again, so i walked over to talk to them, and as it turns out they had another 60 bricks to lay out with Veterans names on them before the Memorial day week end. I also talked to guy in charge and filled out all the paper work to have my fathers name engraved on a brick to join the rest of the Veterans. I thought it was pretty darn cool every time i go out to my fathers house from now on, i can see the memorial from his driveway, and walk across the street and see his name in stone, i don't think it gets any better than that for me.... :)

[/URL][/IMG]

And bye the way, thank you to all the vets out there that served for there country along with my father, i know there allot who sacrificed there life so we could live in this great country we call AMERICA fahne19

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So i wasted no time into tearing into the truck, i removed the hood and did a compression test tonight. The #'s are not too impressive, but at least they are consistent.

#1 100 PSI #2 80 PSI
#3 100 PSI #3 100 PSI
#5 95 PSI #6 95 PSI
#7 100 PSI #8 100 PSI

So as far as i am concerned i am going to run the motor until i do the frame off in 3 to 4 years.

I am really thinking of throwing a new cam in since i will be 1 or 2 steps away when i replace the timing chain, but i want to see what kind of oil pressure i am seeing with a mechanical gauge, the the stock gauge says i am running between 3/4 and and the half way mark and who knows the last time the oil was changed on the poor ole' truck.

So i also removed the drivers side valve cover so i could read the casting #'s to figure out what kind of heads are on the truck. From what i can read it looks like the head #'s are 8988148.

and for a truck with 97,542.8 original miles, i thought the head looked pretty clean, but then again this was never a wax based Penzoil truck, my father has always and i will for ever use Vavoline...

[/URL][/IMG][/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 346 Posts