Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy I'm having a problem with my core support. It fits right the radiator fits right. Now the problem..The fan hits the shroud at the bottom. Not a lot but can't run that way. All the mounting bushings are new. Any ideas?
Thanks

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Engine mounts…? are they original Charlie..? Had a poster on another site had the same issue, he changed his and it cleared up..or radiator support body mount bushings too tall..

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Engine mounts are new also (see note below). Don't know about the core support bushing length the rubbers and bushings are new. Where would I find that info? I was thinking maybe the trans mount is to tall? Haven't had time to figure that one out yet. Hopefully I'll get this sorted out this week
Thanks.
Just a note about new motor mounts. I bought new mounts from parts store, and installed. The center bolt that goes from the frame mount to the engine mount has been 3/8" forever. So I put in new bolts. After running the engine (cam break in) I noticed a bolt on the floor. Had trouble telling where it came from but figured it out, it was one of the new bolts from the engine mounts. After trying to put it back in with no luck I removed the mount. Looking at it I see its made in Korea. YEP the center hole was (is) metric. So I guess we have to check everything now.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I know there has been a big upset with offshore junk, nothing is sized right..same mounts from same supplier same MFG were different in size…
Oldsmobile also offered short and tall models that could be mixed to offer a lower than normal mount or a taller than normal mount. Here is an idea of the rough measurements that you can get:
Small block engine mounts with small block frame mounts - OK
Big block engine mounts with big block frame mounts - OK
Small block engine mounts with big block frame mounts - the engine will be 1-2" low
Big block engine mounts with small block frame mounts - the engine will be 1-2" high

Attachments

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
to use those I'd have to change the munts on the frame. Did some measuring today my mount and all I could find to measure are at 1.75" at 1.5" I have what I need. I may just rework the cross member??

·
Registered
493 Posts
What are the condition of the Radiator Support Mounts? If there are some shims there they could be removed to bring things down a bit.

Back when I replaced the mounts on my '65 it raised up about 1/4"

___
John

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rubber mounts are new. I thought about cutting the bushing down a bit but don't know what that will do to fender alignment.
Thanks

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I`m surmising that if you drop the front rad support you`ll have to drop the rest of the cab the like amount..

·
Sheet Metal Junkie
1,128 Posts
Charlie, check your fender to door gap, if your fender is tight at lthe top, your core support may have to drop. Sounds like yea only need about 3/16 or so of relief it's just barley coming in contact. Also, do you remember the shim plates we use to have that would go between the block and the motor mount ? That would give you an option before you modifie your crossmember. Should be plenty of room behind the distributor. anim_25

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Any updates Charlie…?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts