Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was hoping not to take off the manifolds off my 292, but I broke one stud and bent the other. Then, I broke the bent one. As I see it my options are welding nuts on the studs (they stick out one nut height), and using MAPP gas for heat and turning the studs with a channel-lock, and the other way would be to drill/easy-out. I am leaning towards easy-out, but am hesitant due to the chance of breaking an easy-out and thus preventing a complete drill-out. I also think it will be hard to drill a hole that is coaxial with the stud. What to do?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
What I do is weld a nut to the stud. Then let it cool By it self. NO WATER. You don't want the nut and stud hot. Then heat the manifold around the stud. Use a Oxy Acc. torch your mep won't get it hot enough. when the area around the stud is hot like glowing turn the nut and the stud will come out with it.anim_25

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Without the engine to dissipate the heat, I was hoping that the MAPP gas would provide enough energy. I don't have an oxy-acetylene rig and they cost about $300 on the low end. I can get a new manifold for about half that. I am not sure I would have other applications for that much heat, though I might.

Listen to me, it's like I am encouraging you to convince me to buy a new tool.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Well I bought mine some 40 years ago. Maybe you know someone with a set. OR you could try finding a welding shop near by. Its not hard to do with the right tools. I would never encourage any one to buy a tool. But I'm sure if you had one this would not be the last use you would have. anim_63. againanim_25

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Studs removed, one steel chip at a time

I tried an E-Z-Out, but was on the verge of breakage when I abandoned that approach.

Instead, I went down this path. If at all possible, avoid step 1.

1) Bust the studs
2) Cut studs even and square
3) Build a jig with hardened steel drill bushings
4) Center punch and drill through the jig (all the way through the studs)
5) Make incrementally larger and larger holes to 21/64"
6) Tap the holes 3/8-16
7) Torque test the threads with a bolt

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
That is what I did with the ram horn exhaust manifold for the chevy V8, except i used stainless bolts with never seize on the threads, made life much easier…!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts