Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While check my 65 I notice that the exhaust pipe was lose, I also notice that it was lose where the pipe & manifold connect.. I know that if I try to tighten the nuts that the stud bolt will break. I want to remove the exhaust manifold manifold to replace the studs, Do I have to remove the intake part also ??
Looking for info ? fahne19

Thanks, Stepsider65

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
While check my 65 I notice that the exhaust pipe was lose, I also notice that it was lose where the pipe & manifold connect.. I know that if I try to tighten the nuts that the stud bolt will break. I want to remove the exhaust manifold manifold to replace the studs, Do I have to remove the intake part also ??
Looking for info ? fahne19

Thanks, Stepsider65
Start soaking everything with 50/50 mix of auto trans fluid and mineral spirits in a cheap spray bottle, and work slowly...yes the intake will come loose in I`m not mistaken..( haven`t worked on sixes very much)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Start soaking everything with 50/50 mix of auto trans fluid and mineral spirits in a cheap spray bottle, and work slowly...yes the intake will come loose in I`m not mistaken..( haven`t worked on sixes very much)
I use ATF and Acetone 50/50, miracle drug.....

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Kroil comes in an orange arisol can about $17. You can't get anything better but not cheap. You'll want to heat the old stuff to get it off. is it 2 studs or 3?

·
Registered
93 Posts
It would be a miracle if you got those studs to come out by soaking with any kind of penetrating oil. What I do is I weld a 5/8 nut to the stud as close to the manifold as I can. then heat the manifold flange red hot with a torch. and use a wrench and turn them out while still hot. That works 99% of the time. occasionally I twist one off flush with the manifold. Then I carefully center punch the stud and using a small drill bit drill through the stud. then I keep using l progressively larger drill bits that are left hand bits. And many times the left hand drilling will unscrew the stud. after you get to the final size. That size is determined by the largest drill bit that will fit through a 3/8 nut. then you can pick out the remaining threads and run a tap through it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exhaust manifold

Thanks for the info. The question is can I remove the exhaust part of the manifold
with out taking the intake part off, I would rather work on the bench than on my back under the truck. I have no problem taking both off, This will give me a chance to degrease & paint the motor.

Stepsider65

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for the info. The question is can I remove the exhaust part of the manifold
with out taking the intake part off, I would rather work on the bench than on my back under the truck. I have no problem taking both off, This will give me a chance to degrease & paint the motor.

Stepsider65
No you will need to replace the gasket and both parts have to come off. technically you can separate the exhaust from the intake by removing the bolts that hold them together. however if you removed all the bolts holding the exhaust the intake wouldn't have anything holding it to the engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts