Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... by photobucket holding years of pics hostage waiting on your $400/year payment! Disgusting crooked corporate greed! Hundred of thousands of build threads, photo threads, and picture information now gone! Forums like this one, and thousands of others now mostly void of pictures:(

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Its a shame that they had done that...there are still some free storage venus out there, just not sure how long before they jump too. I have a few with photo bucket but the same ones on my PC.....so not an issue, I`ll just delete PB...

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Also many forums beside auto related forums have been affected...I kinda think this was their plan all along....! This would generate a lot of money for them...

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Free Is a Two Way Street.

I had a similar issue about 10 years ago with "Webshots"... only they just decided to stop hosting photo links period. Since then, anything I upload I keep a copy on the hard drive, and on a backup thumb drive.

I've been a paying customer at Photobucket for years. Now I've never paid more than $20 a year, but I've still been paying. I've always waited for special savings deals, which Photobucket has been pretty good about in the past.

My threads still have all the photo's... but I am betting they'll go away when my subscription runs out.

I have mixed feelings about what they are doing.

The capitalist side of me sees this as if you never paid them a dime and never signed a contract then it's a free for all from both party's perspective.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used to build websites for a living and saw this coming WAY back then. Hosting isn't "free" even when they say it is. I have noticed more and more threads, especially technical ones, containing invaluable information are useless...gone forever. This has even happened with places like Hub Garage and Dodge-Charger forum...where they hosted their own images. The server crashes or gets hacked, or the web platform gets changed and all the links get lost. It's an imperfect digital world. Even the hard drives you think are safe to hold YEARS of your memories are not...they degrade and the software is no longer supported then viola...they're gone.

Be SURE to transfer your old hard drives to new hard drives every 4 or 5 years, or you are asking for trouble and catastrophic loss.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts