Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got home finally from deployment and was going to drive to work the next morning.. Well problems started coming up right and left. The torque converter went bad and so dropping the TH350 I figured I would have it checked as well. Well the gears were just about gone out of it too. So I had it rebuilt and while all that was going on I had some time on my hands I looked over the Engine. Well If yall watch the vid. you will be able to see so many leaks and it just seemed to bad to have on the road. So my wife let me go with getting a new engine. I got the 350 from JEGS. I will give you all some updates as I go. Just let me know if I'm doing anything wrong or pointers!

The Vids. I'm posting on YouTube this is one of the first I have another up already too. https://youtu.be/T99fUevt6Ww

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Looking good one thing I always put a rag or 2 in the intake after removing the carb. I didn't see if you removed the radiator yet that should be first. if your having thoughts about putting it together I almost always put the engine and trans in as one unit. Good luck with the swap. :)

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Great Video Chris....we`ll help anyway we can...!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Nice vid Chris.One suggestion on the Jegs 350,if you are going to run the stock exhaust manifolds make sure the new engine will accept a right hand dipstick,not all 350s did.You can make a left hand work but it is extremely difficult.Also I would trash the intake and egr,the egr appears to be hooked up wrong anyway.Great start on your project by the way

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all! I have completly taken everything off the 305 now and to include the front clip so i can attach my trans to engine b4 I put it back in. Im going to the Crafts Shop on post tomorrow to do it. Just gotta get a hand on Timing and getting everything back on correctly with the right torque specs. Im putting the dip stick back on the same side that it was on with the 305. looking at the new one on the 350 looks like its going to clear the exhaust but we shall see.. Ill let you all know how it went tomorrow night or Wed depending on how deep into it I get.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally done with putting it all back together. I will post vids and pics most likely tomorrow. But while I was doing the "Break-In" I was just wondering whats a normal temp and oil pressure. It seemed like the engine warmed up quick. like maybe 5 to 10 mins into it. My pressure was at like 50 to 53. I let it sit running for like 30 mins after and the pressure and temp didnt go down. The engine is the one off JEGS home page. the stock 350. also for the transmission how many quarts is on average will the TH350 take? I put 6 so far and its not even showing on the dip stick. (it was bone dry before filling.)

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Did you pre fill the torque converter?? that can take (depending on what size) up to 7 quarts by it self. The trans alone will be about 4 quarts. then the trans cooler takes more. You do have a trans cooler right.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do have a cooler. I was told to only put a quart in the torque converter but then to add 3 quarts and then start the engine and then add from there. I hope i didnt burn anything up.. I got up to 6 quarts in it so far and it hasnt shown on the dip stick yet. I didnt run it long or anything I dont a little scared of breaking anything. I am going to go out and buy another Gallon on Friday and tinker with it then. Id like to get a good grip on tunning in the Carb (Holly dont know which model) and getting the advanced timing set too. Everything is so nerve wracking lol

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
As far as tranny you`re getting close to full. just don`t overfill it plays hell with the seals, one way to set static timing is to get you`re timing marks lined up ( some where between (4- to 10 degrees before ) or if they have prescribed a number for you, this is done with the engine off with the #1 piston on compression stroke, hook up your timing light to number one plug wire, loosen distributor bolt slightly, with the key on ( do not start engine ) slowly rotate the distributor counter clockwise until the light flashes STOP, lock down the distributor down, timing is guaranteed, then you can work on vacuum advance and fuel settings. Post the numbers from the air horn of the carb...it will have a List number on it...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the help! I got the timing set now and seems to be running good now. I did happen to fill it a little to much so it did start to leak around the pan.. not sure if I could leave it or just go ahead and replace the seal around the pan and try again. but at least everything is working now! I had my boss come over who has a k30 with a 383 in it and knows the in's and out's. Hes gonna give me a Edelbrock 600 to replace the Holley. He said hes not gonna use it and he just rebuilt it too so this will solve the Carb issues.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
You can drop the pan a little to drain it then tighten it back. It really shouldn't have been leaking around the pan gasket even if overfilled. Sounds like your well on your way to having some fun anim_25

1 - 11 of 11 Posts