Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am changing the engine in my 1983 Silverado from 305 to 350. The 350 has the dipstick on the left side and when I put the stock exhaust manifold back on had to bend tube so much that the dip stick will not go back in. Can I use a later model exhaust manifold to get the dipstick to work? Also does anyone any photos showing how the power steering and AC brackets go back on? For the life of me I can't remember.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hi Jim and welcome to C10.went through exact same thing back in early 80's.If memory serves me right 305 nanifolds went over spark plugs making it almost impossible to install dipstick tube.I managed to do it but went through several tubes before I got it to work.Dip stick was very hard to get in.Better off going with a set of headers or md 70's manifolds.My 78 had manifold that went under spark plugs.Be sure to get the heat shields that go witrh them and you probaly have to fab exhaust pipe.Also make sure theinner dip stick tube is installed,otherwise the crank can pick it up and make a watch spring out of it.Some others might chime in on this as I'm not sure but I think some medium duty trucks and corvette had oil pans that accepted a dipstick tube.Hope this helps.
David

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jim and welcome to C10.went through exact same thing back in early 80's.If memory serves me right 305 nanifolds went over spark plugs making it almost impossible to install dipstick tube.I managed to do it but went through several tubes before I got it to work.Dip stick was very hard to get in.Better off going with a set of headers or md 70's manifolds.My 78 had manifold that went under spark plugs.Be sure to get the heat shields that go witrh them and you probaly have to fab exhaust pipe.Also make sure theinner dip stick tube is installed,otherwise the crank can pick it up and make a watch spring out of it.Some others might chime in on this as I'm not sure but I think some medium duty trucks and corvette had oil pans that accepted a dipstick tube.Hope this helps.
David
Thanks David, Can't get dip stick in at all. Do you have any photos on how to mount power steering and ac brackets? I just don't remember which way they go.
Thanks
Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts