Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...I don't know how else to ask this without sounding like a knuckle head. But how do you unlock/lock the doors on a 1966 c10? I've tried inserting the ignition key into the door lock while pushing in the button and turning, but nothing. I've also tried inserting the key and turning without pushing, still nothing. I did spray the locks with wd40, but it wasn't much help. I know that the driver's side door locks from the inside, but I still cannot figure out the passenger side. This isn't my first older vehicle, so I'm aware that you usually have to "shake" the keys a certain way in order to operate the door locks. I cannot believe I haven't figured this out yet. Also, my repair manual is in the mail, but I don't want to wait a few days to learn how to lock up the truck.

I'd appreciate ANY help. Thanks

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
So...I don't know how else to ask this without sounding like a knuckle head. But how do you unlock/lock the doors on a 1966 c10? I've tried inserting the ignition key into the door lock while pushing in the button and turning, but nothing. I've also tried inserting the key and turning without pushing, still nothing. I did spray the locks with wd40, but it wasn't much help. I know that the driver's side door locks from the inside, but I still cannot figure out the passenger side. This isn't my first older vehicle, so I'm aware that you usually have to "shake" the keys a certain way in order to operate the door locks. I cannot believe I haven't figured this out yet. Also, my repair manual is in the mail, but I don't want to wait a few days to learn how to lock up the truck.

I'd appreciate ANY help. Thanks
First a couple of questions..this 66 how new to you, if new did you get it with one key or more...maybe the previous owner had to rekey the ignition which would have left the door locks unkeyed...do the handle tumblers turn when you turn the key...? Do the handles vs the buttons look new ...like maybe something had been replaced, you may have to pull each handle off and investigate, maybe previous owner bought and installed the locksets incorrectly..
There are no embarrassing questions by the way, its only embarrassing when you don`t ask..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Rich. I bought the 66' less than a week ago. There are four keys that came with it. I've tried all the keys numerous times, but I still can't get any to work. The tumblers don't turn at all when I insert any of the keys. Now that you mention it, the locks and handles do looks pretty good for a 66. I've read that getting new keys isn't difficult, so I may either get new keys OR buy new locks online. I think it makes sense to get new keys made, as long as locks look normal once I attempt to pull them off.

One more question about these trucks. Are the locks supposed to turn without pressing the button, or are you supposed to insert the key, push in the button THEN try turning the key?

Thank you, Rich, for your words of encouragement for all the information you provide.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Just insert key and turn...so if you have a lock smith near you just take the doors handles off remove the tumblers and take keys and tumblers to them, they can cut new keys or change tumblers to fit those keys while you wait, thats what I did years ago cost me $13 bucks...is your ignition key is they same as those other keys...? Mine is set up so that one key fits all....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
There's an ignition key, a gas key, one that locked the hood latch, and a mysterious one. It would be nice to have a universal key. Definitely something I'll look into.

UPDATE: I was able to take out the locks, disassemble them, and rearrange the internals to fit one of my current keys. Locks now work :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts