Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seeing a thread every once in a while about adding power to drum drum brakes.

Is this possible? Solid idea?

·
Super Moderator
144 Posts
Cant remember ever working on or driving a car that had power drum / drum brakes . Would give you increased force from the booster with much less physical effort but apart from that ........................ cant really see the need or other benefits .

·
Registered
1964 C-10-383 stroker-12 bolt posi & 1977 shortbox- nasty 454- 12 bolt posi 3:73
243 Posts
Seems like I saw an article in Custom Classic Trucks years ago. I know I have the article..I'll look. I was thinking of doing it till I could get all the parts for disc conversion.

·
Registered
1964 C-10-383 stroker-12 bolt posi & 1977 shortbox- nasty 454- 12 bolt posi 3:73
243 Posts
Here's a few things to read..

Hers tips and issues..

·
Registered
243 Posts
I finally found the article I rat holed. But this is for single master cylinder..

From
Font Art Brand Event Rectangle

Newspaper Motor vehicle Font Publication Vehicle

Vertebrate Mammal Organism Font Art

Publication Art Motor vehicle Font Illustration

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Wow. That article sounds too good to be true. Thanks for finding that. A few people I know that have these trucks say that the drum brakes do just fine. That was not my experience with a 69 Ford I had in college. I guess I can try it and upgrade to disk if it still sucks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you are working on a 67-72, I can tell you that all you have to do is unbolt the master from the firewall, move it forward far enough to mount the booster to the firewall and bolt the master to the booster. You will need the adjustable brake pedal pushrod and the master pushrod between the booster and master, which may need to be adjusted for travel, but it is that easy. I did it on my 70.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine is a 66, but from that article it's just as simple. I have to assume power drums are significantly better than non. Should experience less fade as well with more power.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you are working on a 67-72, I can tell you that all you have to do is unbolt the master from the firewall, move it forward far enough to mount the booster to the firewall and bolt the master to the booster. You will need the adjustable brake pedal pushrod and the master pushrod between the booster and master, which may need to be adjusted for travel, but it is that easy. I did it on my 70.
I found the power set up at a junk yard. I was careful to grab everything and it all mounted to my 69 with no problem. They have worked great ever since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts