Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read and seen articles on single drive line setups but can't find or understand how to do the math for a two piece drive line. Any body out there that can show the math or show it in a drawing or a link that shows the math setup. thanks in advance

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
The first section of the drive line is just an extension of the trans, the third member needs to be on the same plane as the first section of the driveline, so if the trans or first section of drive line is 3 degrees down from level, the third member or pinion needs to be at the same 3 degrees down from level.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The first section of the drive line is just an extension of the trans, the third member needs to be on the same plane as the first section of the driveline, so if the trans or first section of drive line is 3 degrees down from level, the third member or pinion needs to be at the same 3 degrees down from level.
Alert; Don't you mean for trans 3* down from level & the pinion 3* "up" from level? I have found that info on the Net/Google Searches/other Forums for One piece drive shafts but haven't really found or understood any thing about Two piece driveshafts or maybe I just missed that point. Thanks for explaining the trans/1st drive shaft as being one or on the same plain.

So what if the first section of driveshaft is not on the same plain as the trans? At that point would the trans & or center support brg. need to be shimmed to get both on same plain? Is 3* a magic number or can that degree be different for both trans & pinion. Is there a minimum and maximum for the degrees for both ?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Alert; Don't you mean for trans 3* down from level & the pinion 3* "up" from level? I have found that info on the Net/Google Searches/other Forums for One piece drive shafts but haven't really found or understood any thing about Two piece driveshafts or maybe I just missed that point. Thanks for explaining the trans/1st drive shaft as being one or on the same plain.

So what if the first section of driveshaft is not on the same plain as the trans? At that point would the trans & or center support brg. need to be shimmed to get both on same plain? Is 3* a magic number or can that degree be different for both trans & pinion. Is there a minimum and maximum for the degrees for both ?
Hopefully the first section of drive line is correct, your truck is stock drive line I`m assuming then as long as the pinion is on the same plane as the trans your good. Disregard the 3 degrees, it was just a number, actually a number I used during my racing days..

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hopefully the first section of drive line is correct, your truck is stock drive line I`m assuming then as long as the pinion is on the same plane as the trans your good. Disregard the 3 degrees, it was just a number, actually a number I used during my racing days..
Here is my Trucks specks; 68C10 LWB Fleet Coils on all 4's, 305 sb with the wrong engine perches (73 &up, I have correct ones not in yet) & 700R4 (originally 3 OTT) and who knows if the drive shaft is one that would have been used for the TH350 trans. I can't remember for sure but I think the trans and 1st drive shaft are on different angles, I have lost all written down Angles so will need to do again.
Oops Also I forgot to mention that the truck will be lowered 3" in front (coils) and 4' in rear (coils).

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts