Chevy C10 Trucks banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys:
Got a c1500 94 chevy 5.7--problem is sometimes when accel:confused::confused:erating around
corners sometimes it will choke down and I have to let off until gas gets back into carb. (a throttle body of course) any tips on this other than dont kick it going out of a turn.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Only around corners is a weird thing for a truck with an electric fuel pump. It should be able to maintain the pressure needed no matter what the driving conditions.
A few things I would check or wonder about are:
Are you driving around with less than 1/4 tank of gas?
How old is the fuel filter?
Do you have a way to check the fuel pressure?
Is it the original fuel pump?

It sounds to me like the fuel pressure is too low or the system is restricted somehow. Way weird to only do it around corners though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some good ideas-it is the same fp and filter also i believe-i will change the inline fuel filter first- Is it located along the frame? I was thinking that it was something that came along with that model, but guess not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, the filter is on the inside of the frame just below the drivers door. Pretty easy to change but you will leak some gas out so be dont right under it when you break it loose!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cut out

will start there ---was thinking back tho i believe i did change b 4 but not sure how long. If this doesnt work you think i should replace elec fp? It runs ok otherwise. Once when it was hot weather on a long drive it just shut down in traffic, but again I was entering hwy and showered down it. Let it sit awhile and then it started and ran ok back home. This was a couple years ago.

·
Registered
785 Posts
i remeber back in late 80s early 90s gm truck had problems with baffle inside tank.if changing pump i would check it before re-installing.just a thought

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Blue Goose---so if it is a baffle problem it wouldn't necessarily get worse with more or less gas because if you are turning and gas is temporarily blocked
from pump it would cut out. How well do you think somebody would be able to see into the tank and determine if the baffle is coming into play?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not a Chebby but my Nissan would do that when the strainer on the bottom of the fuel pump was clogged, was worse when the fuel was low...
Mine would do it mostly on right turns...

·
Registered
785 Posts
Used to see this all the time,espially on suburbans.If you decide to remove pump then just look inside to see if baffle is loose.try moving it with a stick or something.The problem was fuel would slosh and move baffle which in turn would apply pressure against pump.Hose connection on pump would get just loose enough to not supply enough pressure.But again,only check if you plan to change pump anyway.David

·
Registered
14 Posts
Doesn't this have a fuel sock on the end of the fuel line inside the tank? You might want to blow some air in the fuel line to knock the crap out of the sock.

Mark

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cut out

Doesn't this have a fuel sock on the end of the fuel line inside the tank? You might want to blow some air in the fuel line to knock the crap out of the sock.

Mark
Not sure about the sock in a gas system, but know that diesel uses socks.

Just currious, does anybody know if they came out with a replacement tank without baffle problems?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I replaced the pump on my truck a few years ago and there is indeed a sock on the bottom of the pickup. You get a new one with the new pump. I didnt notice any baffles inside my tank but I didnt shine a light looking for any either.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pump

I replaced the pump on my truck a few years ago and there is indeed a sock on the bottom of the pickup. You get a new one with the new pump. I didnt notice any baffles inside my tank but I didnt shine a light looking for any either.
morepwr-what year did you say your truck was and did the new pump make a significant difference?

·
Registered
13 Posts
1991 with the 350. I cant say it made a big difference because my stock one died completely so I had no choice but to change it. I have heard of the pump losing the volumn and pressure in these trucks without dying completely though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts