Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Sheet Metal Junkie
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my customer bought his fuel system, and figured it would be time to work on a fuel tank as I'm doing a new trunk pan.

Here's the start to the top part of the tank, which is 16 gauge cold 1012. I drilled the hole out with a 3 1/4 inch hole saw, for the pump, and at the same time, an 1 1/2 hole for the sending unit...

I drilled the mounting holes for the pump with the aluminum jig that was provided with the fuel pump kit.

Now you can see that the pump stands up fairly proud, and I don't want that to be in the way of anything in the trunk, so I'm going to recess the pump and sender. I jigged the piece up on my welding bench so I could tack it together.

I cut this out from the same sheet that I'm going to re install it into. I'm putting a 1 3/8's band around the outer edge that will clear the pump from the top of the tank, and that will also give me the difference of whats missing from my cut line. which is a 1/6th of an inch.

Now that I'm sure everything fits, I ran some reveals in the top of the tank, and welded the pump, and sender mount in place.

More later ! ! :cool:

·
Registered
83 Posts
you sir are a very good sheetmetal person -I am enjoying watching your work.
as a comparison - I will post the photos of my 80 litre home built tank to show how a person with no skills does it!!!!

mark

·
Sheet Metal Junkie
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Guys, Got the bottom of the tank fab'd.... I came up with 22 1/2 gallons and it still fits in the trunk area without to much trouble. I have to be able to still install a filler tube in the top of the tank, and a new filler going to the quarter panel. Here's what I've got so far.

I had ordered some 1/2 inch NPT's for tanks, and this will work nicely for a drain. You can see I have the bottom pitched towards the center where the drain will bung/drain will go.

Here you can see the penetration from the tig weld in the 16 gauge.

Here's the finished bottom, I still have to install the baffles, and the mounts, but I'll do before I close it off with the top in case I have to get to the inside.

·
Sheet Metal Junkie
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Started making the mounts for the tank. Thought they should look equally cool like the tank.

Here's the rear of the tanks mounts left and right.

Here's what they will look like mounted. Now the small 1/2 inch holes aren't for welding but just to continue the lightning hole theme.

Next I have to make the front of the tank mounts.......

·
Sheet Metal Junkie
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, today I got all the parts made for the front mounts on the fuel tank. I mocked up the pieces with magnets to make sure they were fitting how I wanted them.

Here's my dry fit

Ok, so Monday I will start tig welding the pieces all together. Then I can start tacking them in place. I still have to make bottoms for them to create a true saddle affect on the bottom of the tank.

·
Sheet Metal Junkie
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, so I got the mounts done, all four of them. Now tomorrow I can start tacking them to the tank.

The 1/4 inch hole at the top of the mount will meet up with the bottom of the frame rail. Once the mounts are tacked to the tank while it sits in place under the frame, I will drill the 1/4 inch hole threw the tank mount into the tank. I like using a smaller hole to start with as a guide, so it stays more accurate. Then after I will drill a 9/16 hole in threw the 1/4 inch hole for my 1/2 inch threaded slug I will mount inside the frame rails.

·
Sheet Metal Junkie
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So this morning I raised the body and chassis of the jig, and removed the tank.

Here's a view from the bottom of the tank. The two closest in the picture are the forward mounts, and they mount to the rear left and right frame rails, and the ones in the far front of the picture mount to the very rear crossmember.

Now I'm thinking of adding these bottoms to the mounts, these will help cradle the bottom of the tank. The first one I didn't care for because I cut it square, the second picture I like much better and the difference is about 15 minutes to make a radius inside corner.

More later :)

·
Registered
797 Posts
Awsum work Steve.I would love to hang out and be a grunt\goffer,but with my metal working skills you would probably be at your wits end pretty quick

1 - 20 of 22 Posts