Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to replace the lower control arms, is there a later model control arm that would bolt in that would be a better replacement? If there is one for a disc brake front end wouldn't it be a good idea to do that now? Working with a budget, but considering doing front disc if I have to go through all this. Any help is appreciated.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
If I remember your working with a `64 c10..`64 to `66 all the same they use steel bushings with zerk fittings last forever and hold alignment better, starting in `67 they went to rubber bushed control arms and continued till `87 for fitment in your case, they don`t last as long, more suspension deflection, less road noise, but all is a bolt up so its a matter of opinion in your case which way you want to go, find a donor truck (`73 to `87 grab control arms, parts more plentiful ) steering link, you will have to size up the u-bolts that hold the control arms on as they only sell the larger size ( actually a safety factor)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I remember your working with a `64 c10..`64 to `66 all the same they use steel bushings with zerk fittings last forever and hold alignment better, starting in `67 they went to rubber bushed control arms and continued till `87 for fitment in your case, they don`t last as long, more suspension deflection, less road noise, but all is a bolt up so its a matter of opinion in your case which way you want to go, find a donor truck (`73 to `87 grab control arms, parts more plentiful ) steering link, you will have to size up the u-bolts that hold the control arms on as they only sell the larger size ( actually a safety factor)
Rich, thank you for the info. It is a 64 C10, one of those "details" I should add to my questions:D . So is there a different ball joint for the new control arms that would fit the spindle for disc brakes that would be an easier transition?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
The `73 to `87 ball joints will bolt up to the `64 control arms, I might add do yourself a favor and rebush your `64 bottoms and add the larger u-bolts holding them in place. you have to open up the holes slightly...this would be for for the 73 to 87 style spindles whether it be the factory non drop disc or aftermarket drop disc brake spindles..these ball joints will not bolt up to your original drum spindles.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The `73 to `87 ball joints will bolt up to the `64 control arms, I might add do yourself a favor and rebush your `64 bottoms and add the larger u-bolts holding them in place. you have to open up the holes slightly...this would be for for the 73 to 87 style spindles whether it be the factory non drop disc or aftermarket drop disc brake spindles..these ball joints will not bolt up to your original drum spindles.
I have to get new lower control arms, apparently the previous owner(s) of this truck did not own a grease gun. New lowers come with new shafts and bushings. So the ball joints, spindles, disc brake parts and lines would be the things to consider. I appreciate the heads up on the u-bolts, good to know info. Thank you again Rich for the information!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Bama, look at the uppers and the holes around the u bolts real close, my suspicion is that if the lowers are that bad so is the rest, the best bet for you now is to look for a donor truck, `73 to `87 c10 or up to `91 suburban, grab the entire front crossmember complete, unbolt yours and install donor, you`ll need to drill two new holes and that is it, you`ll have disc, but it won`t be dropped unless you buy new spindles, also if you go this route grab the brake booster, proportion valve, master and lines and brake pedal rod. just my opinion but you need to verify..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bama, look at the uppers and the holes around the u bolts real close, my suspicion is that if the lowers are that bad so is the rest, the best bet for you now is to look for a donor truck, `73 to `87 c10 or up to `91 suburban, grab the entire front crossmember complete, unbolt yours and install donor, you`ll need to drill two new holes and that is it, you`ll have disc, but it won`t be dropped unless you buy new spindles, also if you go this route grab the brake booster, proportion valve, master and lines and brake pedal rod. just my opinion but you need to verify..
The uppers didn't look as bad, I will see how my new cross shaft and bushings fit though, very good point. Like the idea of the donor, I think I know a junk yard not far that has quite a few older c10's. Just have to inspect the parts really well...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The uppers didn't look as bad, I will see how my new cross shaft and bushings fit though, very good point. Like the idea of the donor, I think I know a junk yard not far that has quite a few older c10's. Just have to inspect the parts really well...
your opinions are well respected and appreciated Rich.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts