Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1972 c10. Mounted to front of radiator. Both rubber hoses are cut. What is this??
Automotive tire Stairs Gesture Wood Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
18 Posts
most likely a trans cooler. if you hook it back up be sure the outlet goes to the trans and not the radiator. the oil flow should be out of trans to radiator, radiator output to cooler and cooler to trans input. some people did install engine oil coolers but not as many as trans coolers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
most likely a trans cooler. if you hook it back up be sure the outlet goes to the trans and not the radiator. the oil flow should be out of trans to radiator, radiator output to cooler and cooler to trans input. some people did install engine oil coolers but not as many as trans coolers.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Wood Automotive exterior

It has trans cooler in radiator. Idk?

·
Registered
18 Posts
most do. look for fittings at the bottom or side of the radiator. if not, the radiator may have come from a manual transmission truck.
the tank inside the radiator can only cool the transmission to the radiator temperature which is why supllemental coolers are installed.
it you plumb things so the trans fluid from the cooler goes into the radiator on it's way back to the transmission you just heat it back up
to a higher temperature. had that happen to a friend who paid for a cooler installation that was done incorrectly and killed the trans towing
a large camper trailer.

·
Registered
330 Posts
First what trans do you have (PG, TH350/400 is standard for your 72 C10) or a overdrive trans? A standard trans for your truck wont need a trans cooler but if you haul a trailer of some kind or boat or your truck is a Camper Special equipped you will or should use a trans cooler. Keek this in mind the more weight the truck has to pull means its working overtime or the more you push it (peddle to the metal deal) its going to heat up faster needing something to cool it down "Hence a trans cooler needed".The overdrive transmissions 700R4/4L60 using the TC lockup method will require a trans cooler . Keep this in mind from the Factory the trans lines coming out of the trans is Hot fluid (upwards of 190* + and more) then into the Radiator getting cooled down to Engine and Trans working temps around 170* to 190* then goes back cooler then it left the trans but still at working temps.. In my opinion using a trans cooler needs to be hooked up first after leaving the trans as the cooler gets the Hot fluid cooler faster because the cooler is in front of radiator with constant cooling/air movement then it goes back into the Radiator where it gets back to the Factory Desired Working Temperature..I know some will disagree with the trans cooler first then into the radiator and back to trans method and some will say that way just re heats it backup from getting cooled down and the cooler is there to cool it down in the first place Keep this in mind without a aftermarket external trans cooler it works like it should being the FACTORY WAY. :>)

Reactions: jbw3

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have a trans cooler on all of my vehicles whether I need them or not. I guess I'm just over cautious, but I would rather pay a couple of dollars for a cooler rather than $900 to $1500 to have a trans rebuilt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts