Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope that I am posting this in the right section!

O.k., I have a '63 C10 that I bought without an engine or transmission. I have installed a 1968 inline 6 with '65 bellhousing, new/rebuilt clutch, etc..
Now my problem...
When I step on the clutch, the clutch does not engage and the pedal remains on the floor. Watching the clutch linkage as the pedal is depressed, the lower push rod pulls away from the clutch fork, shouldn't this be just the opposite? Shouldn't it be pushing on the clutch fork? Also, the back of the clutch fork is resting against the back edge of opening in the bellhousing. What am I missing? Including some pictures for reference...

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you lakeroadster, the pictures confirm my setup. I'm beginning to think that I may have the wrong throw out bearing. I installed a Napa clutch set (1104072) and after looking at a old throw out bearing (came out of a '65) I'm thinking that the kit may have had a short throw out bearing, the one out of the '65 is the long throw out bearing. Look's like the trans is going to have to come out!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
UPDATE!!! Well, I pulled the trans out and I had installed the right t.o.bearing, got to looking and realized that the input shaft bearing retainer was too long! I could see where it was bottoming out against the clutch disc, did I mention that this was a T5 conversion? Anyway, took some measurements off the old Saginaw and compared them to the T5, needed to cut 5/8" off the end of retainer. Haven't gotten it reinstalled, yet, but willing to bet that this was at least part of the problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I got the transmission back in and the clutch fork is free, no more binding. Hooked up the clutch linkage and got to looking at the z bar, upper & lower rods trying to figure out why the linkage was traveling in the wrong direction! Went to digging around the shop, looking for the clutch pedal that I had removed from a '65. Just as I suspected, the shaft/ upper rod bracket were 180 degrees off. When the pedal was depressed, it lifted the rod up instead of pushing it down. Swapped them out and "BINGO", I have a working clutch!!! Wow, can't believe I wasted so much time on this! Like you said, cffisher, "it was right in front of me"! Thanks to everyone....

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Great it all worked out for you Grumpy...!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts