Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the turn signal switch on my 64 C20 and now whenever I press my clutch the horn honks. It only honks when the clutch pedal is almost at the bottom of its travlel. I have looked all under the dash and checked the turn signal harness down the column and nothing is pinched or chaffed. Even checked the clutch linkage in the engine bay and the only thing I see is that the clutch linkage contacts the shift linkage (three on the tree) near the end of the clutch pedal travel. Now I know my steering column has some play in it, so could that contact between the clutch and shif linkage be moving the steering column shaft enough to make contact with the horn ring?

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Never heard of that but I'd guess you will have to check that out...Maybe by removing the horn wire at the horn button and try it. You'll have to chase it down backwards

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just replaced the turn signal switch on my 64 C20 and now whenever I press my clutch the horn honks. It only honks when the clutch pedal is almost at the bottom of its travlel. I have looked all under the dash and checked the turn signal harness down the column and nothing is pinched or chaffed. Even checked the clutch linkage in the engine bay and the only thing I see is that the clutch linkage contacts the shift linkage (three on the tree) near the end of the clutch pedal travel. Now I know my steering column has some play in it, so could that contact between the clutch and shif linkage be moving the steering column shaft enough to make contact with the horn ring?

Bet you get some odd looks:D

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Worn bushings in the column causing the horn to ground out in the column with movement, had another own on another side with the same issue but happened only when braking hard the horn relay would ground out against the radiator support do to being loose..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lol

Got a good chuckle from that ,its funny we try to do the right thing fixing something and then stuff like this happens.Some thing similar happened to me with a honda years ago. Putting the car together the washer plug and directional were exactly the same and I inadvertently crossed them. So when I ran through the car to make sure everything worked when I hit the directional the wipers would go off ,easy fix but funny as hell. Anyway MY Son had a similar problem with his 70 c 10.His column was shot though wound up putting a tilt column in and she's good as new.Good luck!anim_25

1 - 5 of 5 Posts