Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1970 C10 1/2 ton Long Bed
5.3 L7 swap with 4L65E trans

Guys I have my C10 tore down to the frame. I am currently working on the sheet metal issues. I am trying to plan out my future upgrades and could use some advice.

Items I want to address:
1. Front disc brake upgrade. I plan to keep the 6 lug, upgrade the front drums to disc, and replace all the brake lines, prop valve, MC and booster.
2. Lowering kit. I plan to lower the truck with a kit.
3. Engine and trans swap. I purchased a LS swap out of a 2005 suburban complete with harness, drive-by-wire pedal, and front engine accessories.

So here is my dilemma. I am doing my truck in stages. I am on stage 1. The upgrades you see above are for stage 1. Can I simply go to parts stores and purchase all new brake parts from other trucks to convert to front disc? And because I'm doing an LS upgrade, I have researched guys pulling other model trucks front K members and parts and using those but will this affect my LS swap replacing the K member?

Thanks,
Tom

bowtieb

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum Tom glad to have you here, sign0016
#1 no reason for you to do a crossmember swap, CPP disc brake kit complete with everything you need, drop spindles, rotor, calipers, brackets bearings, master, booster, prop valve, ( use `73 to `87 ball joints ) lines are extra, if you plan on going lower than 2.5 in the front then add a one inch drop spring, drop springs for the rear, you will also need shock relocation brackets front and rear and maybe a adjustable track bar for the rear, sway bar for the front, new shocks ( shorter) ...5.3 install easily done with Dirty Dingo LS conversion slider mounts, maybe a new or modified stock trans mount, ( depending on which one you have...) You can buy the rotors in five or six lug, you`ll need to decide on whether you want the standard spindles or the modular spindles...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome!

Great info, thanks, exactly what I needed to hear.

So parting things out from say advanced auto or autozone would not be any cheaper? Enough to be worth it I mean? I was thinking I could buy drop spindles and then just part everything out from local autoparts store to make it cheaper but still OEM to say a 80's model chevy truck?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
There`s always a possibility you can get it cheaper, best bet thru Oreilys, not auto zone....so buy drop spindles thru Cpp, get your hard parts from the wreckers or donor truck from private party, meaning caliper brackets, dust shields, spindle nuts, washers, brake lines, booster, prop valve, drag link, get loaded calipers ( rebuilt calipers ) , and dual disc mater from Oreilys, make sure calipers and rotors are 1.25 matched set, they may not sell the six lug rotors, you may have to get those thru CPP, the early `71/72 C10s had 1 inch rotors don't get them confused

1 - 4 of 4 Posts