Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope somebody here can give some input to my float dilema. I had a sunk float bulb on my '69 Suburban, so I ordered a new float from Eckler's Trucks and put it in. All was fine again, but only for a month. Got in one morning and the gauge read empty again. I knew I had 3/4 tank, so pulled the sending unit again, and the new float was sunk.
Called Eckler's and asked if they were having issues, and the customer service told me he knew of no issues. They sent me a new float, but I'm concerned about going through the work of installing it, and maybe having it sink like the last one.
So my question is two fold. Since the same float was used from the late 40's to 1972 in every Chevy built, has anyone else had issues with replacement floats? And is there something I can coat the seams of the new float with and have it hold up submerged in gasoline? I'd like to do this once and forget about ever doing it again!

·
Registered
493 Posts
You could fill a ball jar with gas and toss the new float in it for a few weeks to prove it isn't defective... 16coffee

Just a thought.

·
Registered
797 Posts
If I remember right those were like a brass barrel.If so the same thing happened to me once.When I twisted it into the hook of the arm I caused a leak in the groove.Got a new one and was a little gentler installing,all good now

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good idea to put it in gas and soak it to test!
The last one had poor solder joints. They snap into the arm pretty easy, but the joint in the middle was bad, and there's a soldered hole on the end that also had a pinhole. When I pulled it out to check it I could turn it and as it got to the bad spots fuel would drip out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts