Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had started to restore the frame on my 61, clean it up and new brake lines, then do a disc conversion in the front and new fuel setup. I plan on swapping a ls 5.3 into it. In the process of pricing parts a buddy brought up a good idea/ question.

My question is:

What are the benifits of keeping the stock frame over swapping to a 2000-2006 chevy tahoe or gmc yukon and fabbing new body mounts? The track width is within an inch and the length is also within an inch for a shortbed truck. The short bed is 115" and my long bed is 127". The yukon and tahoe are 116".

I figured by the time i upgrade the stock frame to better brakes and everything i could have the same money in buying a high mileage tahoe or yukon and it would have the newer suspension and steering and abs brakes.

In the end the truck is for my wife and i just want it to be a nice get in and go reliable safe truck. Any input would be great.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jeremy glad to have you here, late model frame/suspension under your `61 is doable, problem is that the newer bodies sit down over the frame a little more, you will have to build all new body mounts as well....!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yes, I plan on using the whole driveline. I had planned on upgrading everything on the stock frame and putting a 4.8ls or 5.3 engine with a 4l60e transmission.

My main influence is a buddy who owns a fab shop. He has body dropped and bagged several suburbans and full size trucks so he is trying to tell me it would be cheaper and better to just buy a 2000-2006 tahoe for 2-3500 and just swap my cab and bed onto it. That way i would get the driveline already there, with abs and everything that comes with it.

So in the end i would just have a truck with all newer underbody but has the great looks of the 61. He sent me a link to a guy who did this swap to a 70 and actually cut the firewall and floor pan out of the tahoe and the same with the 70 cab and then welded everything back together. Then he had the tahoe interior put back in. I thought that was pretty interesting that he was able to use all the functionality of the interior as well. But i like the older interior better so we will see. That might be a little more work than i want to get into.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
There is the legality issue to the frame swap, most guys will say well who will know, there was an instance in Kansas of a frame swap, the owner did not do the documentation, an accident ensued and the insurance would not pay out, one instance in Ohio the owner lost his truck to the state because of no documentation, law enforcement treated it as a stolen truck..so there are issues and not all states are the same.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Things happen a friend of mine has a 76 k10 he replaced the body with a later one. He went to get registerition for the truck and was told it was a stolen truck. He produced all the paper work but they would not let him register it. A couple weeks latter state police showed up took his old plates and towed off both trucks. Changing parts is a much better idea or at least check with DMV first.:eek:

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I know in Calif they will confiscate vehicles if they suspect vin tampering, Calif will issue a build title, SPCNS FFVR-23...you have to have reciets showing place of purchase of all major components...problem with this is two fold, one it also throws you into new car or current smog systems, insurance companies treat it as a salvaged vehicle...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts