Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With this being said about the differences in the Center Links from the different years of there fitments (see pic below) also the tie rods also have different thread sizes Would any body know if the tapered holes for the tie rods have different sizes being do they change from a 63-70 against a 71-72 or even a 73-87 C10. I hope the pic below will explain what I just said above. Thanks in advance, Marvin

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
With this being said about the differences in the Center Links from the different years of there fitments (see pic below) also the tie rods also have different thread sizes Would any body know if the tapered holes for the tie rods have different sizes being do they change from a 63-70 against a 71-72 or even a 73-87 C10. I hope the pic below will explain what I just said above. Thanks in advance, Marvin
In the construction world that is called by the engineering nerds "Evolution of Design", all I know is I put a 1985 front end including disc brakes on a 1964 SWB chevy and only had to re-drill two holes, worked out perfect...

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
GM as well as all the other parts stores sell a dual sized adjuster links for the tie rods, don`t have the part number off hand right now but GM has been using it for years...!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Let me ask this in a different way, This is what I have learned so far but what I have learned might not be true. With the pic below in showing how the differences for 71-72, 73-87 year spans of these Trucks is are the Tie Rods tapered mounting holes the only way to tell the Center Links apart form one another? The top pic example #A is for what I understand as from a 71-72 C10 and example #B shows how the difference Might Be (not to scale on #B) for the 63-70, This might be the only way to tell the difference? Right

PS, now we might be getting somewhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GM as well as all the other parts stores sell a dual sized adjuster links for the tie rods, don`t have the part number off hand right now but GM has been using it for years...!
I think I have heard that also but here is my problem, I have a 68 C10 that PO's have installed different years of parts & have "Cut" & bent back (for room) at the front engine Cross member so the Center Link will work or slide back n froth as it should. That center link has 11/16" threads for the tie rods & adj. sleeve so with what I have learned so far that Center link is for the 71-72 or 73-87 C10's. I have already bought all of the steering parts (Moog) for it a while ago and can't return anything so to add a dual size adj. sleeves & another two more Tie Rods just wont work for me. ****I am on the Hunt for the right Center Link off a 63-70 C10 truck to put the truck back to what it is & having the right parts it should****. I do under stand changing out parts for parts to make it work & go down the road but when you buy a Truck that has so much junk yard sh!t on it you just have too make it right again. The right parts aren't that hard to find its the prices that people put on them that makes it hard to swallow.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We used a 74 center link and tie rods when we put the 74 Disk spindles on my brother in laws 70 1/2 ton 2wd. We also used 74 ball joints on 70 a arms.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
We used a 74 center link and tie rods when we put the 74 Disk spindles on my brother in laws 70 1/2 ton 2wd. We also used 74 ball joints on 70 a arms.
All of what you just posted about is correct for your 70 C10. When wanting to go to Disc brakes for a 63-70 C10 yes you do have to use whats needed like 71-72 center link, tie rods & spindles or 73-87 center link, tie rods & spindles. I understand what you needed to do But you posted something I already knew. **Anyway "I did" find a 63-70 Center Link for my Truck so as far as it goes this thread & its post is over for me but if any one wants to add to it be my guest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts