Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a couple buddies that swear their Cast iron Power glide transmissions puke transmission fluid if not driven nearly daily. What would case this and can it be fixed? Everyone says just go to a Aluminum case, but i have a 58 cast iron one and figured wtheck, might as welll use what i have plus if i can figure out the issue i can also help out a couple buddys with this issue.
thanks

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
i have a couple buddies that swear their Cast iron Power glide transmissions puke transmission fluid if not driven nearly daily. What would case this and can it be fixed? Everyone says just go to a Aluminum case, but i have a 58 cast iron one and figured wtheck, might as welll use what i have plus if i can figure out the issue i can also help out a couple buddys with this issue.
thanks
It usually was the pump seal behind the converter, I had helped my friend replace two seals in two years...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so is it a different seal compared to the aluminum case PG? is there a fix, other than replacing the stock type seal?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one of these cars that it does this on is a restored 55 chevy 2 dr. I dont know if he replaced the fly wheel, but i do know the car is immaculate so i would think he replaced anything worn. hes old older fella, with many cars...if i am not mistaken he has another doing it as well.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
one of these cars that it does this on is a restored 55 chevy 2 dr. I dont know if he replaced the fly wheel, but i do know the car is immaculate so i would think he replaced anything worn. hes old older fella, with many cars...if i am not mistaken he has another doing it as well.
It could be the design in the seal itself, think they changed the seal when they went to the aluminum bodied powerglide.

·
Registered
415 Posts
from what i know, its not an everyday transmission ( really dont know the ratio between at production between the aluim. and cast iron )

have you try searching the web on this ... ?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Power glide went from like 1952 to 1968, replace by the TH350, aluminum case started in 1963/64 used in all pass cars and trucks...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lokin4AReason, I have not researched it on the web. It seems every time lately i try to search something it comes up 1,000,000 hits of which about 999,999 are useless adds trying to sell me the part from some online low baller company lol

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Lokin4AReason, I have not researched it on the web. It seems every time lately i try to search something it comes up 1,000,000 hits of which about 999,999 are useless adds trying to sell me the part from some online low baller company lol
Back to your trans ( powerglide) the unit is much like the Th350, front pump seals gets old and brittle and worn, when you park any automatic, for any length of time, the fluid from the converter drains back into the case of the trans, thereby overfilling it, it reaches the pump/seal behind the converter and runs out if the seal is bad. My th350 right now needs a pump seal after 150k miles on it... the only automaker that I did not ever have that issue was mopar, the 904 and 727 cases never leaked from the pump seals ever...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts