Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a El Camino or Caballero forum?? I'm heading to W.V. this week end to pick up an 80 that some one dissembled . Been looking but not finding :D
Thanks

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
None that I know of Charlie..! sorry

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CHVYPWR Thanks for the site. I used it to find out what year the donor truck
is. I have been playing around trying to get wiring figured out. I got 6 wiring harness with the truck but none were the right one. I'm about 1/2 way there. Engine side done interior still cutting out wires I'm not using the ECM so there is a lot to change and remove.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
CHVYPWR Thanks for the site. I used it to find out what year the donor truck
is. I have been playing around trying to get wiring figured out. I got 6 wiring harness with the truck but none were the right one. I'm about 1/2 way there. Engine side done interior still cutting out wires I'm not using the ECM so there is a lot to change and remove.
It's a great forum! I spent quite a bit of time there when I restored a '78 El Camino a number of years ago.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the trans back from the repair shop. Mated it with engine and installed same. The wiring has been fun (NOT) Some day soon I'll put a battery to it and hope there is no smoke. I used parts from 3 wire looms and a few spools of wire. The PC in the dash was the hardest. I did not reuse the ECM as it will be carbed and didn't see the need.
:( :D not sure which but a story anyway. While installing the engine I used a balancer, with a screw to get engine and trans level. While watching bottom, top, and sides, I never looked at back of engine. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't go down. The screw on the balancer has cotter pin to hold the nut from coming off. The cotter pin caught some wires not in the loom, as I cranked to level it I pulled loose a few wires, Now I get to figure out what they go to. AGAIN. Ain't working on these things fun

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Got the trans back from the repair shop. Mated it with engine and installed same. The wiring has been fun (NOT) Some day soon I'll put a battery to it and hope there is no smoke. I used parts from 3 wire looms and a few spools of wire. The PC in the dash was the hardest. I did not reuse the ECM as it will be carbed and didn't see the need.
:( :D not sure which but a story anyway. While installing the engine I used a balancer, with a screw to get engine and trans level. While watching bottom, top, and sides, I never looked at back of engine. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't go down. The screw on the balancer has cotter pin to hold the nut from coming off. The cotter pin caught some wires not in the loom, as I cranked to level it I pulled loose a few wires, Now I get to figure out what they go to. AGAIN. Ain't working on these things fun
It would be about that time I would just close the door and go have some coffee on the porch....16coffee LOL

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yet another do it twice because I didn't pay attention.. Do to the lack of room for exhaust manifolds on this truck I took a route that made sense to me....Use the ones of the doner truck. SBC same as SBC WRONG the 86 has different heads than the ones on the engine I'm using. The heads on my engine are standard but the ones on the doner have a wider bolt pattern on the left end. SOO I went to the parts pile and nothing I had would work... Off to E bay Hopefully the right one is on its way.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Yet another do it twice because I didn't pay attention.. Do to the lack of room for exhaust manifolds on this truck I took a route that made sense to me....Use the ones of the doner truck. SBC same as SBC WRONG the 86 has different heads than the ones on the engine I'm using. The heads on my engine are standard but the ones on the doner have a wider bolt pattern on the left end. SOO I went to the parts pile and nothing I had would work... Off to E bay Hopefully the right one is on its way.
I did not know this, I have seen heads with a double threaded holes on the left side end..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts