Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 67' C10 Stepside that I would like to rebuild. My question is...to keep it mostly original or rod it out. Not having done any of this before just wonderin which is the best way to go. The truck is old but in good shape. any idea of the cost of a frame up restoration? Any help would be appreciated!

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
A lot will depend on how much of the work you will do yourself, if you have to farm out a lot of rust issues, painting and rebuilding it can get very expensive, if this is your first resto my advice would be just start doing little projects. On it first, brakes, bearings, seals in the drive train, especially if the truck is a driver, more projects have failed from first timers tearing a truck all the way down and being overwhelmed and then it appears on the want ads, it's more fun to drive and go thru it as you go.

·
Administrator & Sheet Metal Junkie
1,128 Posts
Yup ! ! Like Rich said I'd drive it for a while and start collecting part and attending show/swap meets. And that would put you in were folks are doing different levels. This will give you a better idea on which side of the spectrum you want to be on. Sometimes there more fun as a surviver then a co,plate resto. :D Post up some pictures so we can see what your working with. anim_25

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I agree just get it safe and drivable then visit rod runs swap meets and decide later.

A lot of guys get a classic and then tear it down immediately, then life takes over or they get overwhelmed etc and the project and sprit is lost,

Drive and enjoy it first.

Otis :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
I agree with Otis and all,like he said life takes over and before you know it months or even years go by.You look at it just sitting there in pieces and its hard to get motivated to work on it.Kind of a lost feeling,where did I leave off and where to resume.Started my 78 in year 2000,thats right over 12 years ago.Seems something always comes up to get you side tracked .Enjoy what you have.
David

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have a 67' C10 Stepside that I would like to rebuild. My question is...to keep it mostly original or rod it out. Not having done any of this before just wonderin which is the best way to go. The truck is old but in good shape. any idea of the cost of a frame up restoration? Any help would be appreciated!
Could you post up some photos? You have one of my favorite trucks!

Unless your truck is a museum piece there's no disadvantage to hot rodding the truck. Unlike passenger cars of the same era the value of these trucks isn't so much about originality, numbers matching, etc. And nowadays leaving the original patina and rust has become trendy.. sometimes the less you do the more it's worth.

And by the way, welcome to the website. Where are you located at in Colorado?

·
Registered
28 Posts

Unless your truck is a museum piece there's no disadvantage to hot rodding the truck. Unlike passenger cars of the same era the value of these trucks isn't so much about originality, numbers matching, etc. And nowadays leaving the original patina and rust has become trendy.. sometimes the less you do the more it's worth.

If the less you do, the more they're worth is true, my 47 is worth a fortune! LOL!
Bill

·
Registered
493 Posts

If the less you do, the more they're worth is true, my 47 is worth a fortune! LOL!
Bill
;) the key word is "sometimes" :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts