Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the heads up!! I use brake cleaner alot...its awesome stuff to clean about everything...I´m not going anywhere near it with torch or heat now on!

·
Registered
793 Posts
man,read that article and I'm feeling lucky.I use tons
of that stuff in the shop.Have sprayed it on hot engines
being careful of flash fires,never thought about vapors.
Thanks for the heads up.will be more observant from now
on for sure.
David

·
Registered
10 Posts
I stopped using it a number of years ago, just too many warnings on the label to suit me. I read a similar article to the one above a couple of years back.

Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've only used non-chlorinated and I use it on everything.
Seems the link above is defunct.
And his thread is 3 years old and it on top
Not a lot of action around these parts.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't subscribe to PopSci because I found most of their articles to be lacking in adequate explanation like this article did. Specifically it says the welder in question was injured with brake cleaner because it was "present on metal that was being TIG welded." But it does not explain if was being used, the metal was wet with brake cleaner or if the brake cleaner had been used previously and only a residue was remaining after the cleaner had evaporated.

In my automotive repair shop I only use non-chlorinated brake cleaner which evaporates extremely quickly. But like the article states, brake cleaner is a tool. And like all tools, if it is respected and used properly it is extremely useful. But like any tool if it is misused or abused it can be harmful or fatal.

But thank you for bringing this issue to the fore.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I don't subscribe to PopSci because I found most of their articles to be lacking in adequate explanation like this article did. Specifically it says the welder in question was injured with brake cleaner because it was "present on metal that was being TIG welded." But it does not explain if was being used, the metal was wet with brake cleaner or if the brake cleaner had been used previously and only a residue was remaining after the cleaner had evaporated.

In my automotive repair shop I only use non-chlorinated brake cleaner which evaporates extremely quickly. But like the article states, brake cleaner is a tool. And like all tools, if it is respected and used properly it is extremely useful. But like any tool if it is misused or abused it can be harmful or fatal.

But thank you for bringing this issue to the fore.
I vaguely remember the article, it was a member on Hotrodder.com some years back, welding on suspension, realized grease was present, used brake clean to quickly remove it, some had puddled in a small crevice, went on with the welding, he collapsed before he finished... hospitalized, still has issues from it today..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got a friend that was welding up an oil pan and after welding it he allowed it to cool (so he thought) and went on to cleaning up the other end of the pan up using brake cleaner and it flashed catching him and his garage on fire. He was lucky and able to get himself extinguished and the garage before he dropped. It didn't get his face but he was in a burn center for several months afterwards. It's easy how we get complacent in the garage, I'm one for learning off others mistakes and now a lot more careful when using brake cleaner around anything hot, if at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts