Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased new vinyl seat coverings (back and seat) from LMC Truck. The set doesn't seem perfectly fit this project, but I am committed - I cut off the old vinyl covers

The vinyl seat fabric was attached to the frames with spring clips. The upholstery kit comes with hog rings, which will be OK for the seat back but not the seat base.

The back: The back has a pattern of small diameter rods welded to the frame, so I can attach the vinyl with the hog rings. The top of the seat back vinyl has a pocket that goes over the top of the frame. It comes down past the place where hog rings would attach the vinyl to the frame. I could hog ring the edge to the coils springs.

The base: The spring clips attach the vinyl to the frame edge; The only way that I see hog rings working would be to drill holes in the seat edge. Alternately, I could try re-using the spring clips. They seem weak and some are distorted from their removal.

Has anyone had success with this project? Thanks

fahne19

·
Registered
6 Posts
Danielrsss

Be sure they sent you the correct covers. Humans can make mistakes. I ordered one for an 85 and it worked perfectly. Be sure to check this out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. The size seems correct, but attachment methods look different.

I finished the seat back, using mainly the spring clips that come off of the old upholstery and a few hog rings. I bought a hog ring pliers; the one that came with the upholstery is worthless.

I hope to get started on the lower seat this weekend. The nuts that are used to join the seat back to the base are missing. I will need to improvise there.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cylindrical Spring Clips

I found the clips I need at Classic Parts USA, their part number UP220_1958.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Posting Project Pictures

I attempted to post pictures of my completed project, but when I reduced the file to below the recommend size (kilobites), it was still too many pixels wide. Really? Does it have to be that hard? I post full size pictures on a free forum for bicycles, CABE. This seems a needless barrier to forum participation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts