Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 66 C10 and there is about a .30 amp draw from the battery and it’s draining. What should a normal draw be? My alternator also isn’t charging the battery. Replaced the alternator and that didn’t solve anything. It’s charging at about 12.3 volts at idle and 13 at wide open throttle. I’m thinking it’s the voltage regulator. Anything else it could be?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Here`s a quick version of an alternator test...
In my opinion best and easiest way to test the diode block while the alternator is still on the engine is to do an AC ripple test with a digital multimeter. Just start up the car, turn on the headlights to remove surface charge off the battery. This will force the alternator to switch on. Next set the meter to AC Volts. With the engine running put the positive lead of the meter to the "BAT" terminal on the alternator and hold it there. Then place the negative meter lead onto the negative post on the battery. If you get a meter reading of more than 1.5 Volts AC (1 1/2 Volts AC) the diode block in the alternator is bad and needs replaced. Its a real simple test that only takes a few seconds to perform. Hope this helps!
Could be bad connections at regulator too....or you have a dead short some place, with key off if you have a spark when you make a battery connection short some place, start at fuse box and remove one fuse at a time while repeating the battery connection, when you find that one circuit that does not spark anymore is the circuit you need to check. if your radio has a clock you`ll need to disconnect it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts