Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the ball joints on my sons 69 C 10. The truck came with the front converted to 5stud and discs. I am fitting the joints spec'd for a 69 but they do not fit through the upright enough to get the split pin in the nut, by about 3/8". Does any one know if the uprights are different thicknesses, where the joints go, for drum and disc setups. Or are the joints different for drum and disc. I'm from the UK so you may not use the same terms, sorry.

·
Registered
62 Posts
How about taking the old ball joint to the parts guy... and compare with new until you get one that matches? Easy Peasy Lemon Squeasy
I agree but a simple cheap micrometer (Digital Caliper) on the old one would give you a much more accurate measurement. I would guess they are just really tight if you got it that close. I have had some that took some serious pressure to get to seat all the way. Most of those conversions I have seen or done are from like a 75 through 80s C10 truck and I haven't recalled a different thicknesses. There could be though.
Sometimes backing it out and doing a little emery cloth in the hole does wonders as well. This help to clean up any burs etc. Also I suggest a press to install them. Not sure how you are installing them. I have done it with a hammer and a jack on the side of the road but it wasn't fun. They need to be really squared up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the replies. Can't take to the parts guy as am in the UK and the parts came from USA. Think I've sorted it out, it seems the upright on the disc brakes has thicker castings around the joints causing the problem. I'm waiting for the new joints to arrive next week then back to work. Fingers crossed.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I`m only guessing that they are `73 to `87 ball joints....!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts