Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 63' c10 tha was supposed to have a 283, but now has a 67' 250 I6. The wiring is terrible and all Micky moused. The engine harness is the most confusing because everything is backwards. The purple wire some how goes the the starter, I've seen wiring diagrams and they all say the purple wire goes the oil pressure sensor, I followed the purple wire to the cab, and it connects to the ignition, wth??d there are so much more backwards stuff. I want to start replacing wires harnesses by peices but I'm afraid to because I saw how the engine harness wiring was backwards and some how still runs. Does anyone have good advice from experiences on what I should do? I'm wondering where I also could get peices of the harness for cheap...

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
In my experience you would be better off replacing all the sections of the harness that are bad or better yet, the entire harness. Replacing wire by wire means you will be splicing at bulkhead connectors and the bulkhead connectors themselves are likely brittle and in bad shape too.

I'd suggest buying from Classic Parts, here's a link for you http://www.classicparts.com/Wiring-Harness/products/205/

Hope that helps.

_____
John

·
Registered
64 Posts
Isaiah,
are you trying to restore/ keep your truck stock? If not they sell complete wiring harness kits on Ebay very reasonable. Lakeroadster suggested ordering from Classic Parts and I can tell you I have had good luck ordering from them. Whatever best fits your needs/budget.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Isaiah,
are you trying to restore/ keep your truck stock? If not they sell complete wiring harness kits on Ebay very reasonable. Lakeroadster suggested ordering from Classic Parts and I can tell you I have had good luck ordering from them. Whatever best fits your needs/budget.
Both. I'm trying my best to preserve to original paint inside of the cab, but one day I need to cut/weld a new center peiece of the dash because it's been neglected and the radio deck ton is badly cut. Thank you for your advice. I'm gonna check that website.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my experience you would be better off replacing all the sections of the harness that are bad or better yet, the entire harness. Replacing wire by wire means you will be splicing at bulkhead connectors and the bulkhead connectors themselves are likely brittle and in bad shape too.

I'd suggest buying from Classic Parts, here's a link for you http://www.classicparts.com/Wiring-Harness/products/205/

Hope that helps.

_____
John
Thanks for your ad ice. I want to start with the engine harness and then the instrument harness. My biggest challenge is figure out the turn signals, becaus I have to replace the cam and switch, also the a new lever.

·
Registered
493 Posts
You might want to consider rebuilding your steering column since you are going to replace the turn signal switch. I did and discovered the steering shaft was severely worn.

Check out post #25 of my build thread Lake's Ole Orange Crate

_____
John anim_25

·
Registered
794 Posts
Purple should go to the starter ,If running points yellow also at the starter.Blue to the oil pressure if using electric guage.Green to temp senderBest I can remember is GM always used a 14\16 guage purple to starter solenoid,either from ignition switch directly for manual trans or via neutral safety switch for automatics.Later models went thru a clutch switch on the manuals

1 - 8 of 8 Posts